· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For plants I can personally vouch for water wisteria and anubias, also cryptocorynes. They are the only ones with constant growth rates ( water wisteria =fast, anubias and crypts= slow) even when I barely provide them with anything: low light and no ferts. I have had other plants that stay alive, but not really grow. I have always wanted to try java fern too, but have never bought any.I agree, though: live plants would look great!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Whew! Had a busy 3 hours fish shopping tonight! We went to 3 different places. Petco, Petsmart, and a large privately owned fish store. I only found ONE of the kind of Barb I wanted. One very pretty Longfin Neon Rosy Barb. They said those sell fast, but they will have another delivery of them coming next week so I will try go get one more. I did find some very pretty Longfin Gold Neon Barbs at Petco and I got 2 of those. They aren't really "gold" in my opinion. They are a very pretty neon yellow! I am pretty excited about all three. The poor Rosy went through hell being netted though. The tank was loaded with plants and he hid in them well. She literally pinned him a couple times and he was all tangled up in the plants. I hope he survives all the trauma. She was very careless trying to net him!

I also got 5 more Harlequin Rasboras. They are pretty small but I am excited for the three bigger ones left in my 46 gallon to join them. The Harleys are swimming around inspecting the tank and look pretty good. All 3 Barbs have been hunkered down behind a plant since being put in the tank 2 hours ago. They appear pretty stressed. But lights have been off and I hope some quiet and calm over night will liven them up. they are SO pretty!

I bought some much nicer looking artificial plants and a large fake log for the 29 gallon. It looks MUCH better. I will try to get pictures tomorrow evening if the Barbs come out of hiding by then.

I bought 2 Wisteria plants. The ones in the tubes from Petco. One is a 4" and one is a 8". i know the tube plants are frowned upon by many, but the tube does say "aquatic" (I read to look for that. LOL!) and they look extremely healthy! The only problem is I didn't get any Alum yet and they have to stay in their tubes until tomorrow evening.

And finally, I also bought the black and white gravel for the 46 gallon so I can switch out the subtrate when I do the fish swap after quarantine time. Ugh! That is going to be a chaotic day!!!
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.
    Pictures of my 46 Gallon here.
    Picture of my 29 gallon here.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I forgot to mention, the fish store had tanks and tanks full of the different kinds of Rainbows. We stood and "oooo'd and aaaa'd" over them, BUT resisted the urge to buy any due to the informative advice I got here. Thanks all!
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I took some new pictures tonight of the 29 gallon after updating the deco.

29B.jpg

I added some Wisteria. There is one right in the middle between two artificial plants, and a group in the left back corner behind an artificial plant.
    Here is a side shot of the back left corner.
    wisteria.jpg
    All fish are doing really good and are out and active this evening. Here are a couple pictures of the one Rosy Barb and one of the Gold Barbs:

rosy1.jpg

rosygold.jpg

We need to get the Rosy some of his own kind as soon as possible. He is bothering the two Golds way too much!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One of the new Harlequin Rasboras died today He looked sluggish this morning and hanging off by himself in a corner. He was dead when I got home from work. I seem to have terrible luck with Harlequin Rasboras! The other 4 are looking good though......... so far. They are zipping around the tank and they all ate well. The Barbs all look good too. I did test the ammonia and it was zero, but since there was a dead fish in there today for unkown amount of time I did a 50% water change.

The big Neon Rosy Barb isn't eating much yet, which is starting to concern me, but he is very active and his colors are beautiful. The two Neon Gold (Yellow!) Barbs eat like little piggies. I am really happy with these Barbs. Not only are they beautiful, but they are busy, busy, busy....and fun to watch. I hope I get to the store in time next week to get a couple more of the Neon Rosy Barbs!

The Wisteria looked a tad bit droopy this evening, but most definitely not to the point it looks like it's dying. Fingers crossed it is just "transplant shock".

I was amazed how much quicker and easier it was to do a water change in this tank compared to the 46 gallon! I use an Aqueon water changer and the tank is in the dining room just steps away from the sink. (The 46 is in the living room) Took me all of 20 minutes and I was done. It is not near as deep as the 46 either and I could actually reach in and fix plants without standing on my tippy toes and without getting my arms wet up to my arm pits!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Stick with the wisteria. It grows in different forms, and eventually will adapt and look beautiful! Tanks are looking good, and i love the barbs!
    MOre info on water wisteria: http://www.waterwisteria.com/
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well dang! I lost another of the baby Harlequins. This morning he was off hanging by himself, just like the one that died last week. I did notice it looked like his mouth was open, like it was stuck open. he was dead when I got home from work. I am now down to 3 left out of the 5 I bought last week. I just have no luck with the little fellers!

The Barbs are doing wonderful. I had a little issue over the weekend with the large male. (I posted in the Barb section about it) For a day or so he turned into a crazy wild man! LOL! not sure what that was about, but he has settled down nicely now. They are SOOOO much fun! Most all of my fish in the 46 gallon are what I call "floaties". They just kind of float around, just hanging out all the time. Kind of boring. Every once in a while the Sailfin molly will get a spurt of "I feeeel good!" and put on a show, and the Guppies have moments where they think they can take on fish twice their size, which is funny to watch, and the cories have playful moments............but I have never had fish that play all the time like these Barbs! They are always busy doing something playful. Surfing in the bubbles, swimming in and and out of the logs, wiggling and spiraling through the tall plants, inspecting the underside of the filter, having spats here and there over whatever it is they see in the pebbles at the moment and they all want it (though I swear there is NOTHING there!)..........just so much fun to watch! I am excited to get more of them when they are delivered to the fish store this week. Unfortunately since I had to wait a week for more barbs, I will have to wait longer (for quarantine time) to make the switch of tank occupants and get these Barbs into the 46 gallon.

I know I will have to move the tall grass looking plant that is currently in the right corner of the 29 gallon into the 46 gallon with them. That is their favorite place to play!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss :( If it's any consolation, I too am not having the best of luck with keeping little harlequins alive.
    Journals Here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I called the fish store tonight to see if they got in more of the long fin neon rosy barbs. He said he did get more in today, but the bags were in rough shape upon arrival and the fish had been a bit oxygen deprived. He said he does not have them out for sale yet. He is going to keep them in seclusion and give them special treatment to help them recover before they go out in the main sale tanks. He is worried some may not pull through and he wants to wait a few days to see what happens. He told me to call back tomorrow evening and he should know more by then. It is good to know they care that much about the fish they sell!

My remaining 3 little harlequins are hanging in there and looking good. A couple more days for them and I will put them in the 46 gallon with my older 3 harlequins.

This plan is not going as I had hoped and I am in a bit of a predicament. I intended on doing the quarantine period of all barbs in the 29 gallon at the same time. Now I will have 3 about done with quarantine in the 29 and no place to put the additional barbs for quarantine when I get them. Unless I put them in the 29 gallon with the 3 barbs already in there for a week,

I do have an empty 5 gallon, but that will not be big enough for 3-4 rosy barbs! Been playing with the idea of picking up a 10 gallon for a bigger quarantine tank. I looked at them in Wal-Mart tonight and I could get the whole kit for $29!!

Sounds like I will have a couple days to think it over since the new Barbs are in the hospital for a day or two!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got my 4 additional longfin neon rosy barbs today. they are so dang pretty! I put the 3 young Harleys into the 46 gallon with my 3 older ones and they joined up immediately and have been staying pretty tight since. The 29 gallon is currently a "barb only" tank and I must say, I really like it. But I am going to stay with the original plan of moving half of the fish in the 46 to the 29, and the barbs into the 46 gallon. (After a quarantine period) Once I change the subtrate to black in the 46 gallon the neon rosies are going to look awesome in there!

Here is a video of the barbs tonight. Also check out the wisteria that is still hanging in there!!

Oh, and I think I have my hubby hooked. On the way home he said we should measure the area the 46 gallon is sitting in the livingroom and see if we could fit a 75 gallon in there! I literally could not believe my ears!!!
    Last edited by dlee; 03-09-2013 at 04:44 AM.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.