· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Barb help needed.

0 Not allowed!
    3 Days ago I bought three Barbs. One longfin neon rosy barb and two that were labeled longfin gold barbs. (They are currently a neon yellow though, so not exactly sure what kind they are, but they look like the long fin neon rosy, but yellow.) The two yellows are about half the size of the rosy. I had intentions of getting three of the longfin neon rosy barbs, but they only had one left. They have more coming in next week and I planned on going in and getting two more. I put all three into an empty, newly cycled 29 gallon, but plan on moving them to my 46 gallon once they have gone through a quarantine period.

The rosy did chase one of the yellows here and there, but nothing extreme or long lasting. Last night the rosy started swimming like he had gone mad! Something like this along the glass....... up and down, up and down - somersault, somersault - back and forth, back and forth - somersault, somersault - up and down, up and down............continuously, fast paced, for hours, and still doing it after lights out. He was still doing this when i got up this morning. The only change was that every once in a while one of the yellow barbs would get his attention and then he was on a rampage with that fish! Round and round endlessly chasing it, scooping it up with his nose, and pinning it into plants, etc.......I finally netted him and he is currently floating very calmly in a large fry net that is hanging on the side of the tank until I figure out what to do! I did test my water (liquid API kit) and it is perfect. 0 Ammonia, 5 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite.

Any ideas what is causing this? Is it "normal" behavior or is it because there is not enough of the rosys? Will getting a couple more longfin neon rosy barbs next week settle him down some, or make it worse if he is just a "hyper" fish? I am not sure what to do at this point! I do have a 5 gallon I could put him in for now if need be. Temp is 79.5.

On another note, now that he is the net and settled down, I see there appears to be a couple missing scales on his one side. It could be from when he was netted at the fish store. He was extremely hard for her to net and she even had him tangled up in a plant at one point.

Any suggestions?
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.
    Pictures of my 46 Gallon here.
    Picture of my 29 gallon here.

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen this behaviour in all sorts of new fish. Usually it goes in a day or so. I've heard some people fix this by throwing a towel over the front window the first day.

The fact that you have a schooling species in insufficient low numbers is not going to help but I wonder if it's the root cause.

Anything different about the way the fish looks?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Last night I did put a black piece of construction paper on the side he was surfing the most and shut off lights in the tank and in the room. (The back of the tank already has a black background) he then moved to the front glass for a while and then back to the covered side, so maybe I should have covered the front too? Like I said, this morning he eventually switched focus completely to one of the other barbs and didn't even glass surf anymore. But he was "surfing" with the smaller barb, (Example...like he was a dolphin with a ball on his nose!) endlessly until I felt I needed to intervene.

Other then what looks like 2-3 missing scales on his side, I see nothing else unusual looking.
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, after several hours in the fry net I couldn't stand to see him in there anymore and I let him swim back into the tank. It has been a couple hours now and he is amazingly calm! How long it will last I don't know, but for now everything is normal in that tank. I will get a couple more long fin neon rosy barbs as soon as they arrive at the fish store this week! I want to get up to 5 of them, and at least one more of the long fin neon golds. Strangely, the gold ones seem to be perfectly content as a pair
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like it worked it's self out. You should up your schools to six when you can. Your barbs will be even happier.

Have fun.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, it's amazing the difference a couple days makes. He has really settled down and acting "normal" now. I can't wait to get more of them this week. These guys are so much fun to watch and have such playful personalities!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.