· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Breeding Bristlenose pleco/catfish

0 Not allowed!
    i have a male and female albino br and Im gonna attempt to breed them, i have had them about a week now but i don't think they are aware of each other just yet? if they are aware of each other they sure don't show it as they're always at either ends of the tank. is this normal and i should just let them be or is there a way to speed up the process?
    cheers.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    let nature take its course, they might not even be mature enough to mate yet. once the female starts sending off her signals the male will be on her like me on a piece of cake... there just wont be enough lol
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The male needs some sort of a little cave to place the eggs in. Temp right around 78F. Feed them some fresh romaine or spinach, you can use a lettuce clip to hold it down there. Or a fork. You can use zuchinni or even melon to treat them. I use a kelp spirulina flake for them as well made by Captain Bobs foods. You might be able to see the eggs in the female on an albino. They need to be mature, the bigger the face bristles the older or more alpha the male is. They lay 20 to 100 eggs in a small cluster clump in the cave, the male guards them until they are old enough to leave and find their own way. They are fun fish and I have a bunch of types of them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Both the above are right, surroundings age and temperature (as in temperature drop) all have an effect. My bn's were 2 years old before they bred, although all males and females were ordinaries, they delivered quite a few albinos. Not 100% sure your pair of albinos will produce more of the same, be prepared for allsorts. Good luck!!

0 Not allowed!
    And start thinking about finding them a home. Generally once they get going they don't stop

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the quick replies, my temp is 26 degrees, as for caves/ hides i have 3 altogether as i read they like a choice firstly i have a slate hide, a clay plant pot and lastly a cave. the male has lots of huge bristles on his head which i believe means hes sexually mature? (not sure if there's any truth in that or not) hes around 4 inches and the female is around the same. like you all said il let nature take its course. Any other suggestions will be welcome.
    cheers.

0 Not allowed!
    A good head of bristles usually indicates it's mature. If you provide hides, clean water and adequate food your main worry will be finding homes for the fry. These breed easily and often.

I'd say give it another two weeks with enough food. After that set the heater to 24 degrees and do a 35% change with cool soft water.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    A good head of bristles usually indicates it's mature. If you provide hides, clean water and adequate food your main worry will be finding homes for the fry. These breed easily and often.

I'd say give it another two weeks with enough food. After that set the heater to 24 degrees and do a 35% change with cool soft water.
    Good call they seem to react to a sudden temperature drop (onset of winter?) then go like rabbits

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok then il give it a few weeks and try a slight temp drop with water change to see how it goes.
    iv been trying them on broccoli, green beans and cucumber but they aren't eating it? Anything else i should try them on?
    cheers.

0 Not allowed!
    Most bristlenose are a bit reluctant to try new food. I've found that the trick is persistance. Feed in the same location, place the food in the tank an hour or so before lights out. Change after 48 hours max. If you're impatient split a clove of garlic and rub one half over whatever you're feeding. And of course soften it up a bit by boiling or nuking the food for a minute.