· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zebra pleco

1. Default zebra pleco

0 Not allowed!
    I am looking for a reputable source of adult pairs or juvenile groups of zebra plecos that would be willing to part with them for a reasonable price. If they can be bred in captivity and are relatively easy to care for, the export ban should not stop these wonderful little creatures from becoming mainstream in the hobby.

0 Not allowed!
    I know of no true L46 plecos that come at a reasonable price, the cheapest I could find was this one, it's 120 bucks, and that's cheap when you consider how expensive they usually are.

Unfortunately, it's expired.

I think in your situation a breeding pair would be like 1500$ at least.

Maybe the cheapest juvinile would be around 200$..
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 08-01-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did find a group of 6 juveniles for $500, but from what I've read most spawns are mostly males. I would be slightly upset to pay hundreds of dollars for a group of male fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehl01
    I am looking for a reputable source of adult pairs or juvenile groups of zebra plecos that would be willing to part with them for a reasonable price. If they can be bred in captivity and are relatively easy to care for, the export ban should not stop these wonderful little creatures from becoming mainstream in the hobby.
    I've a couple of comments that can easily be taken as criticism or as advice. I agree that zebra plecos are one of the most attractive and fascinating fish in the hobby.

Since you're asking here instead of plecoplanet.com, or plecoworld.org, or planetcatfish.com it appears you don't have enough knowledge to own zebra plecos. That's a curable condition. They are rare and any true fan will want them in the hands of people who can successfully propagate them.

An earlier post said they'd seen six fry advertised at $500.00. That's still cheap and it means someone is successfully breeding them. A couple of years back, there was a batch of ten on Aquabid at $1500. That was the low price of the year.

In the mean time, how about learning with squiggle plecos? L-333 youngsters, for instance, usually run about $20.00 each. L-333s come in two color variants. One nearly white, the other cream. If you insist on adults, and willing to gamble as to fertility, you can find adults at what most pleco fans would say are very reasonable prices.

By the way, since you're in Michigan, why aren't you talking to Dale and Chris at FF?
    Here is what Ted Judy had to say about them.

I had a chance to visit this store in early March while in Detroit to give a talk at the Motor City Aquarium Society. There are not many stores like this around any more, and it is good to know that having a fish shop with a huge variety of cool and rare species is even possible these days. Fantastic Fins is working on getting a website up, so until I can post a link for them this contact information will have to do:

Fantastic Fins 38313 Ann Arbor Rd., Livonia, MI 48150 fanfins@aol.com

Chris, one of the owners, says that he will ship fish. I am sure he or Dale (the other owner) can provide a list if you email them.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dbosman; 08-02-2012 at 03:27 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am watching plecoworld and planet catfish as well. I'm currently in the process of research, I know i'm not ready to buy them. I don't live in Livonia and when I called fantastic fins a couple days ago the kid said they don't have them, but to call back next week and try to talk to the owner.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehl01
    I am watching plecoworld and planet catfish as well. I'm currently in the process of research, I know i'm not ready to buy them. I don't live in Livonia and when I called fantastic fins a couple days ago the kid said they don't have them, but to call back next week and try to talk to the owner.
    The owners are Chris and Dale.
    You will really want to make an appointment to tour and talk pleco.

Make sure before you go, that you have some quarantine space ready for anything else you've been wanting but not found anywhere else. I maintain that it is impossible for a fish fancier with any money at all, to go to FF and leave empty handed.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    An earlier post said they'd seen six fry advertised at $500.00. That's still cheap and it means someone is successfully breeding them. .
    Of course someone's breeding them. Just had a quick look at our version of craigslist.

http://link.marktplaats.nl/582951442
    http://link.marktplaats.nl/583022228
    http://link.marktplaats.nl/577475450

That's three breeders with fish for sale right now. Granted, still an expensive fish but it's being bred successfully

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you are still looking for zebras at a fair market price, I would suggest contacting TTA (Chris) at PlecoWorld.org. He raises, breeds and sells zebras as inexpensively as I have found them. I got my first group from him 4 years ago, and I am still waiting for them to spawn. You have a better chance of getting both sexes by buying a small group of juvies (and it's less expensive). Good luck.
    46 BF Oddball Community Tank
    20 gal long L450 colony
    78 gal L240 community
    40 breeder L400 colony
    40 breeder L046 colony
    10 gal pleco fry grow out tank

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    While it is true that zebra plecos still command a higher price than most would like, if you are still looking for some then I can help. I am a breeder and have several sizes available at a price well below what most other breeders sell them for ($100 ea for 1-1.5", $120 ea for $1.5-2" and $140 ea for 2"+). I ship throughout the US. If you are interested in breeding them, the best and most cost effective approach, in my opinion, is to do what others have suggested - purchase a group rather than trying obtaining a breeding pair. A guaranteed breeding pair would be VERY expensive, even if you could find one. Which I suspect would be very unlikely, unless you just happen to find someone that is getting out of the business. Most of us that breed the zebra pleco started that way....purchasing a group....and it works. If you are interested, let me know. I have posts on the zebrapleco, planetcatfish and plecoplanet websites.

Link removed.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 01-19-2013 at 07:19 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have anything specific to add but I was just browsing and am from MI, so I was interested in this fantastic fins place if they really are good, I go by that area periodically. But if some of you know them you might want to mention to them their internet presence is in really bad shape. Their website is over its quota and down, and Google says their website is a parked spam page on maps, and they should be able to ditch the AOL email and get one at their own website for free with any cheap as dirt host now days.