· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default I'm so lost in the land of filtration. Help me ;)

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased a used 90 gallon aquarium to finally set up my denison barb community. I am still in the process of cleaning and resealing this new tank. In the meantime I am ordering in all the supplies that I will need.
    I am on a budget of $200 for filtration, but if I can keep it under that, it would be better.
    I would like to run an AC110 hob in conjunction with a canister filter.

Here's where I can't decide what to pick.

The Eheim 2217 Classic - would put me over budget, but worth mentioning in case it's a must have. I'm not thrilled about the idea that it doesn't have separate media baskets.
    http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Extern...rds=eheim+2217

The Rena Xp3
    http://www.amazon.com/Rena-722-Filst...words=rena+xp3

The Aquatop (sunsun) CF500
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or this Eheim Professional 2 model 2128
    It was purchased new and used in a doctors office for 6 months before they tore down the tank and the guy said he would sell it for $150.
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...eheim&ad_cid=5

Any guidance in this area would be much appreciated, and let me know if you don't think I'm on the right track. Thanks.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Any reactions here will be largely personal experiences and preferences and here's mine. I don't like HOB filters, noisy, they require hood modifications and they promote evaporation.

Eheim filters are build well and you can get spares for ages. They're also quiet and energy efficient. The lack of baskets wouldn't bother me. A 2128 is a very nice filter but the classics aren't bad either. Over here they also sell the classics in a plus edition which includes quick connect taps, a must have for an external

Sunsun is a chinese factory that clones other companies designs. Generally pretty decent but occasionally there's one that's noisy as anything due to bad quality control. Spares are now obtainable.

I'm not familiar with the Rena.

Default I'm so lost in the land of filtration. Help me ;)

0 Not allowed!
    Canister filters are like cars - they all get you from A to B and everyone has their favorite.

Renas are excellent filters. I primarily use them and sunsuns. My 90 has an XP3 and a sunsun 304 (CF500).
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I had a Rena xp1/Aqua Clear 50 combo for my 55 Gallon. Although it had only one basket, I loved my xp1. My next tank purchase of either a 72 gallon bowfront or 90 gallon will def have an xp3 and HOB combo on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like this will be a nice set-up

I would suggest either of the eheim filters or the XP3. I love my XP filters and I have heard nothing but good things about eheim. Perhaps you should with the one (of the filters I meantioned) which fits your budget the best

Using more than one filter as you are planning is always a great idea
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you search around you should be able to get the eheim and the aquaclear for 200 plus or minus if you have to pay tax on them.

I think kensfish has the aquaclear for 68 and the eheim for 126, but I dont know if the eheim has the quick connects included. You should be able to get the xp3 for about 120 as well.

There is a thread on here that has a list of online retailers and it might be worth going through them for price comparisons.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First - congratulations on the 90!! Yipee!

Everyone has given you good advice. I can only speak from experience.
    I have a cascade 1200 (4 separate baskets for media) and an Aquean 50/75 Hob.
    Both are whisper quiet. What I like about the Aquean is it does not EVER require priming and there is room to add additional media (over and above the holsters with filter cartridges) if you want to. It also does a great job of filtration.
    the Cascade should be well below your price point of $200 and the Aquean can be picked up on Amazon for around $30.00

I never hear anyone mention the Cascade and few mention the Aquean filters but IME, they have provided great filtration, are, economical and quiet.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, yes, priming.

When I bought my eheim classic and I tried to start it I was cussing and swearing, good thing the kids were in bed! I paused, made a cup of coffee and did some research.

This: http://www.eheimna.com/faqs/faqQuestionAnswer/9 isn't on the german eheim site funnily enough but it's the best way to start any external which doesn't feature priming gadgets.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for all your help with this! This foray into having a tank larger than 10 gallons is an all new journey for me. So many choices and decisions! I need a little hand holding.

Talldutchie - I don't know why but I feel this obsessive need to have an aquaclear hob. I love my AC30 so much. Luckily the hood I have would not require any modification to accomodate one, but maybe I'll take a step back and re-evaluate how necessary that is, If I don't get a hob, would you recommend a second canister in its place? Is that a lot of hoses to have going in and out of the tank? Having only 1 filter scares me in the event that one might fail while I'm not around and there would be no backup.

You're the one who originally got me interested in the Eheim 2217 Talldutchie, you recommended it to someone else in a recent thread and from everything I've read, Eheim is just top of the line way to go.

LadyGodiva - I tend to fall into the amazon trap and order everything there. I'm pampered by their 2-3 BD Prime shipping. Thanks for reminding me to check other places, I'm going to look around and see if I can find the Eheim for cheaper.

Fishmommie - Now you've got me looking at other brands of HOBs - something I've never done before. :)

Sounds like if I don't go with Eheim, Rena is a safe bet, so that's probably the route I'll take if I can't move my budget around to fit the Eheim.

What do you guys think about the used Eheim 2128? I'm a little leary of buying something as complex and important as a canister filter used, and I don't know if $150 is a good deal on a discontinued model, but it was apparently very well cared for and only 6 months old.
    Is it worth $150? Is it better than the 2217?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Crag's list is the best chance to get a local deal; ebay requires shipping and some trust. These make more sense if you do not want a more inexpensive off-brand that is new. Filters all do about the same (for a class and price range within limits) - the issue is quality and that means how long it works before something breaks. Pay now or latter but I always have at least two on hand (with two aquariums, I have three) so the issue of quality is not important for me. This, of course, is not needed for filters but not true of heaters - those are critical (in winter) and everyone should have at least one extra.