· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My Improved Gravel Vacuum / Water Changing System Project

0 Not allowed!
    So with one project down I'm about to start another.

Breaking this project into two parts. I could use some advice from you guys for part 2.
    Part 2 will consist of a contraption that will filter the water while returning it to the sump tank when performing a gravel vacuum on the display tank. I can then disconnect and clean out filter container and have it prepared for the next gravel vacuum. Something similar to these devices.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Multi-V.../dp/B0002AQHNM
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3895

This filter device will connect to PVC tubing (Part 1). I'm thinking I could simply roll some filter pad and stuff in a PVC pipe and just run the water through that. Though I think 3/4" PVC, with filter pad, might be too small and restrict water flow after a while. I'm thinking moving up to a 1.5" PVC; give more breathing room for filter pad. Does anyone have any thoughts what I could make?

I have made another photo album for this project, click here to see pictures.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if im understanding this correctly, you want to return used tank water back to a tank after its been gravel vaced? if thats the point of this then i have to say dont do it. the reason is ammonia spikes. try stirring up your gravel then test your tank for ammonia, you will see a small spike. so adding used water back to a tank is not a good idea...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you genocidex for the reply, that was quick. I have taken that into consideration and have already tried similar process just using a filter media bag on the end of the vacuum tube (nice to see all that crud I pulled out). Tested the water about 2 hours after and got 0 for both ammonia and trites. I would like to use a more fine filter pad to complete these gravel vacuums though.

I think the next time I vacuum I'll let it drain into a bucket so I have pure used water and then test that and see what the readings are. I believe the ammonia level will be so small that the BB will able to devour it in no time. I'm thinking <=.25ppm.

Also constructing part 1 of this project in such a manner that I can remove the water instead of recycling if I so desire. It's not like I vacuum all the time, and I would have completed a water change a few days before and after. The thought of recycling the water makes my wallet happy.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are planning to do water changes before and after these cleanings to ensure your water quality, why not just do the gravel cleaning at the same time and save yourself the effort and expense of building this gravel cleaner that will not remove tank water from the set-up ?

For cleaning the media in the sump, just turn of the return pump, clean the media in some old tank water you remove from the sump, replace the media, refill the sump, and your back in business. I follow that process anything I need to complete maintenance on anything in my sump.
    Last edited by Cliff; 02-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    this seems like its a good idea on paper. and i know where you are coming from as i had the same idea a while back... but i came to the realization that its not good practice to expose ur fish to any ammonia, also its just as easy to do a gavel vac while doing your water changes. its unnecessary to do a gravel vac as a separate cleaning than your water changes.

please dont take this as us shooting down your idea, we are just trying to cue you to some pit falls. if you are trying to filter out all the crud, might water to filter it threw a filter floss/scrubber. the muck at the bottom might be too small to catch in the average filter cartridge. also on another idea for you, try adding a zeolite type thing to help remove some of that ammonia... 99% of the time i would NEVER recommend removing ammonia, but this is a 1% chance that active ammonia removal might be a good thing. also watch out for algae blooms. there might be phosphates/extra nitrates that could cause growth
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    By doing this you are only removing the processed detritus, the mulm if you will. This does not remove any of the rest of the chemicals that comprise the waste products in the tank. The reason that removing the water is not a concern is because the water is full of toxins that need to be removed in order to continue the system as we like to have it. Removing the mulm really only removes the fibre contents of the fecal matter or uneaten food. All of the rest stays in the water. You should look into ozonizers to see about burning off the rest of the stuff.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    As I mentioned earlier your gravel sand bed consists of many different layers of bacteria. Each level of bacteria does different things to the waste. Eventually, is broken up to tiny participles. You then do the water change or use a skimmer to get out. If you do to much to your floor you can upset the whole balance in your aquarium.. You also might looking in to putting in a reverse flow. Much more efficient and you never have to clean gravel
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-24-2013 at 12:02 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really appreciate all this feedback, I'll take all this into consideration. I like the suggestion of the water change/vacuum being combined. I could probably manage to remove most water during vacuum and then recycle some as well. Still curious how much ammonia would be created during a gravel vacuum. Once tested I'll let you guys know the results.
    25 Gal - Tropical

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 

0 Not allowed!
    if you keep a weekly vac schedule and not over stocked tank then the ammonia build up will be minor. but then theres people like me who havent had the chance to do a good vac in a few weeks, there will be an ammonia spike when i do vac it lol
    gotta love them bunnies!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Currently I complete monthly gravel vacs, half the tanks substrate at a time. Combine vac with WEEKLY water change, and complete only 1/4th of substrate. I love it, remove the junk but still limit the amount of fresh water I need to replenish. It will always be a process that will change from time to time. Keep the suggestions coming.
    25 Gal - Tropical