· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Exclamation .:. PLEASE HELP .:. Angelfish Compatibility Question In Desperate Need Of Answer! .:.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a 45 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium running since a few years ago and I've recently had a few of my first fish die- well most of them *sniffle* I love you Milo *sniffle* For my 16th birthday I got fish from my uncle.. Angelfish. I've never had them before so my dad has been helping me research into caring for them. They're minuscule though. They're not veil. They're actually rather plain... Well I currently have 5 of my common guppies left- all females. They're the kind fishermen use as bait aha so nothing fang bout em. Just plain ol' silver plump old ladies. I also own the very rare Neon Tetra! Haha just kiddin ya know they're pretty simple fish. Well I have 10 of those. I have also 2 maybe 3/4 inch long albino bristled plecos. They're not supposed to get vey large.. I thought plecos grew to 2 feet but I don't know. Well I'd like to add some more interesting fish. I'm not really a beginner I don't assume but I'd like some pretty upper level swimming energetic community fish- rather small. Any help for anything else or vague fish tips will be very helpful also.
    Thanks y'all(:

~Steph<33

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and sorry about the caps in the title it's extremely hard to type on this old thing :'c and there was a spelling mistake . I meant to type 'nothing fancy' not fang Ahh kbai(:

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoto View Post
    I've had a 45 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium running since a few years ago and I've recently had a few of my first fish die- well most of them *sniffle* I love you Milo *sniffle*
    HI Steph and I'm sorry for your loses.
    For my 16th birthday I got fish from my uncle.. Angelfish. I've never had them before so my dad has been helping me research into caring for them. They're minuscule though. They're not veil. They're actually rather plain...
    How many angels do you have? While they are small right now, they can grow quite large. So 1 (possibly 2)would be the best number for your tank if you plan to also have other fish. As they grow, if 2 of them don't pair up, you may end up with a lot of squabbling and fighting and bullying which will not be good any way you look at it. So ... you might be thinking about rehoming all but one and returning the rest to the fish store and exchanging them for other fish. I'm sure that's hard to hear but long term, it's likely to be the best solution

Well I currently have 5 of my common guppies left- all females. They're the kind fishermen use as bait aha so nothing fang bout em. Just plain ol' silver plump old ladies.
    As the angel grows, guppies will start to look like food. Again sorry. An angel will eat anything it can get in it's mouth so this could also be a problem with the angel
    I also own the very rare Neon Tetra! Haha just kiddin ya know they're pretty simple fish. Well I have 10 of those.
    Again, it's risky to have neons with angels - the food issue again. Right now the angel is small but when it gets large enough, the neons may also be in jeopardy

I have also 2 maybe 3/4 inch long albino bristled plecos. They're not supposed to get vey large.. I thought plecos grew to 2 feet but I don't know.
    Some plecos do grow very large but albino bristle nose plecos do remain quite small. They shouldn't get much more than 4 - 5 inches each and will grow fairly slowly. They are great fish. Sink a slice of zucchini in the tank and soon they will find it and munch on it. (Always replace what's left uneaten after 24 hours) Also, plecos need driftwood so if you don't have any in your tank, you should get some as soon as possible. they also like caves to hide in - 3 flat rocks will do it
    Well I'd like to add some more interesting fish. I'm not really a beginner I don't assume but I'd like some pretty upper level swimming energetic community fish- rather small. Any help for anything else or vague fish tips will be very helpful also.

Thanks y'all(:

~Steph<33
    Cherry barbs or some larger tetras (not serpaes as they will most likely nip the angel's fins) would be nice choices. the cherry's are very colorful and not nippy. There are a lot of tetras that would work.

Here's a link you might like to check out. www.aqadvisor.com , You plug in the size of your tank, your filtration and then add the fish you want and it will calculate for you if you are over stocked or under filtered and advise if the fish are not compatible. It's not the absolute answer but it will give you some good ideas. And of course, you can continue to ask here. I'm sure others will offer opinions as well.

Good luck and I'm sorry for the bad news on the angels but it's better to figure out how to proceed now than when it might be too late.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-23-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to everything FM just said. Good advice all around.

If you're attached to the other fish in your tank, you might consider rehoming the Angel and opt for something else, with a smaller mouth, like a Gourami. =] Just keep in mind that you'll only be able to have one of those in your tank, as well, since they're very territorial.

Or, you could change routes and try some dwarf cichlids, like Apistogrammas, Rams, etc. Very colorful and fun fish to watch.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have rather similar 45 gallon tanks. I have angel fish (that I got when they were tiny tiny, intending to rehome all but one of them as they grew up), two albino bristlenose plecos, a school of ten harlequin rasboras (probably a better choice than neons because of the size), and six otos.

When I bought my angels, it was a "5 for 5" deal -- i.e. five baby fish for five dollars. The store I bought them at told me to bring them back for store credit as they matured and outgrew my tank. I ended up rehoming two of them to a friend's tank, and I still have three of them. They are five months old and starting to push each other around a bit, so I know that I'll have to pick one of them to keep pretty soon. Sad, but inevitable.

Would you be able to exchange your neons for a larger fish like the rasboras or even cardinal tetras? What about rummynose tetras? I don't think I would try to add two schools to a 45 -- it would be better for the fish and would look cooler to have one bigger school.

If you wanted to add another type of single fish, perhaps a German Blue Ram would work. I had one of mine in with the angels for a while and there were no issues at all.

Since your angels are still tiny, you have a few months to sort things out.