· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'm relieved that they only eat dead shrimp. But they don't eat algea? How many shrimp should I have to take care of the algea? There's none right now, it's planted, and I have around 25 shrimp.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot, do they bury themselves only in sand, or can they bury themselves in gravel or fluval shrimp gravel(forgot what it's called)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    Thanks, I'm relieved that they only eat dead shrimp. But they don't eat algea? How many shrimp should I have to take care of the algea? There's none right now, it's planted, and I have around 25 shrimp.
    I think I have close to 1500 rcs in a 20g long and I still have to wipe the glass every few weeks to get rid of a bit of algae. Shrimp will never be a 100% algae fighting force. Best to cut back on lighting or look at water contents to stop algae outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    I forgot, do they bury themselves only in sand, or can they bury themselves in gravel or fluval shrimp gravel(forgot what it's called)
    I have assassins in tanks with just pool filter sand, floramax, and flourite, they seem to bury themselves in all of them at times. I originally started with maybe half a dozen assassin snails, and slowly as they bred I put 3 into each tank. Never seem to see more than a handful of them at any given time.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Theres about 50 pond snails in my 8g, but they are pretty small. Would 2 assassin snails do? Also do they eat snail eggs? That would be helpful, there are alot on the glass.

0 Not allowed!
    My experience with assassins..........I had tons of pond snails in my 55 gallon. Six assassins killed them ALL within 3 months. A few months later, I bought a plant that come with trumpet snails. Right now my assassin population is probably over 50 and I still have hundreds of trumpet snails. I have found the assassins will eat them when they are large but can not kill the tiny ones............which seem to hatch by the hundreds. I swear I don't see one single snail for days and days then suddenly they come out of the substrate and cover the glass.

They do not eat aglae. But I would not buy snails simply to remove a couple snails from an 8 gallon tank. I'd trap them with a slice of cucumber in a tank that small.

(I also do not over fed. And I have shrimp with mine.)
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-24-2013 at 03:02 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Why don't you remove your gravel and dump boiling water over it? That will kill those snails soon enough.