· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

Default something unusual for your aquarium. Make a copy of nature

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    Probably one of nicest backgrounds I've had in my tank was a mold of a rock formation that was on an Island on the seashore. I noticed the really interesting background in one of our public aquariums. What it consisted was plastic mold material that could be poured on a formation and then released after a period of time. I think I first applied a release compound first on the formation.

It came out really nice only next time I'm going to spread different pigments to look like rock layers like shale. Once you have the mold off you can trim it to match your tank. Was a little pricy since it took a few times to get it right..

Had caves and everything. Did take a few days to find exactly what I wanted to copy. If anyone is interested I can research what I used as it was very difficult to get the public aquarium people to tell me what they did. After bending many ears someone told me their secret. I will occasionally check this post or you can leave me a message on the "New to the forum page\ if you are interested. :)
    Mike

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I am not a DIY type person, but I have been considering buying a 3D background for a tank I am planning. I haven't decided what sort of background I prefer and would love to see some pictures of the one you have/made.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately it has gone with all the other aquarium things that I have made, acquired. I just seem to drift through time discarding stuff and doing new things. It can really be a fabulous background. But it only reflects how much time you are willing to spend on project. It was not cheap and required lots of time to find the exact formation that I wanted. Had lots of barnacle imprints and looked very realistic. I think once I poured the mixture on rocks I spread it with a heavy wide brush so it would be somewhat uniform in thickness. I would improve things as tried it again like coloring different imprints so they looked more natural.
    I also would do some extra things like silicone the imprint to the back wall, weight it down and put a small volume pump in it so there would not be any dead spots with the different tunnels.
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 04:27 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I admire your effort. For me personally it wouldn't work, kind of tank I like to keep is more likely to have a muddy bank as a natural background.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds really nice. Might give it a try sometime. My taste is continually changing so I do lots of different things. I make most of my own filtration or modify store bought stuff. Occasionally when lazy I just use what I buy. Went through a time when I made all my aquariums all were unique looking. Last project I converted a wine barrel into a fish tank. Oh well, different time different project.
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm, can you tell me more about your aquarium. What lives in it. What about filtration, lighting. Starting to interest me. Is it a natural mud ?

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    went to your profile, great project, lots of thought went into it, final results couldn't haven't better.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow!!! I think you sparked a new project for me. When you mentioned mud it started my mind thinking I live on the ocean and all around me are tidal mud flats. All kinds of wonderful things are in that mud. I have often accumulated many cold water things into my aquarium. They are used to fluctuations in temp. and salinity as the tide pools dry.
    I Think I'm going to harvest some mud and plant life. I will build a mud flat in my aquarium.. I will even duplicate the time and length of the tides.... so cool... Just a start needs lots more planning. I might also introduce some local Anemones they also are out of the water during the tides. Might need another aquarium
    Thanks for the hint
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-23-2013 at 04:04 AM.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, need to study how fresh water gets integrated into the mud. Lots of stuff like clams are filter eaters...Got to figure out what the other stuff eats?

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of hermit crabs, snails, worms of every description. probably need a long aquarium to get some depth to the water. Around here a 13 ft tide is not unusual. Alaska has 25 ft tides, might have to build my tank. Could raise one end of tank with a motor with a timer to develop the tide
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.