· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 55gal SA tank

Hybrid View

1. Red face 55gal SA tank

0 Not allowed!
    I'm currently in the process of turning my african tank into a south american tank. Once all are sold, I'll have two 10gal, one 20gal and one 55 gal tanks to play around with. I do have 5 german rams, once a pair forms, they'll move to the 20gal. Another side pair plus the 1 other ram would go in the 55gal. What fish could I put (beside angels since i have a pH that is slightly harder than what they like.) Any ideas will be appreciated :D Fish ideas for any of the tanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You have a lot of options so it just depends on what you prefer.
    I have a GBR with colombian tetras and serpaes and corys and they get on fine.
    I have another GBR with severums, congos, and blood parrots. Again, they are fine together.
    Why don't you put together a stocking 'wish' list and post it. i'm sure folks here will chime in if they see issues.
    Have fun!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    One of the most common overlooked S/A stocking fish are the swordtails. I love the look of the red swords like these.GBR are nice and I have owned and bred them almost all of my fish keeping life, but lately I have noticed they are becoming more and more aggresive over time. Something that might be nice in the cichlid world would be appistogramma like the Agassizi. They are really peaceful and well tempered to a planted tank. Also with the different angels lately, I have become attached to the looks of the Smokey Pinoy Angel. They are all great fish and there are a lot of options. You could even go into the semiaggressive world and have Sevrums, Blood Parrots, Jack Dempsey's, if you had a 75gal I would say even Geophagus would be in the ball park.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keeping : German Rams
    Want: Appistogramma (must be peaceful and pretty haha)
    Maybe: Kribensis (not sure how good they are in a group)

Maybe just shoot some names and I'll look them up on google :p I know someone has some appistogramma baeschi and some borelli opals
    with some pencil fosh. Let me know if those are ok :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Kribs are from africa you know that yeah?

However they can be housed will your GBR's though. Also what is you pH all apistogramma species are very sensitive to pH and pretty much need a pH of less than 7, even better is 6.5 or less.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Someone told me they keep kribs with their gbr's and blood parrot o.O
    My pH currently is sitting at 6.8, with the other parameters normal. I do have a crushed coral substrate in the 55, but thought of switching it for sand or just gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfheart2112 View Post
    Keeping : German Rams
    Want: Appistogramma (must be peaceful and pretty haha)
    Maybe: Kribensis (not sure how good they are in a group)

Maybe just shoot some names and I'll look them up on google :p I know someone has some appistogramma baeschi and some borelli opals
    with some pencil fosh. Let me know if those are ok :)
    Rams, appistos and kribs all breed relatively easy. All will set up a territory to do so. I can't envision a 55g build that would offer all three the room to do so.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't risk GBRs with Apistos... not anymore, anyway. Tried it and it didn't end well for my Apistos. =/
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree kribs can be kept with them, however i was just letting you know that they would mean your tank isnt a SA biotipe.

For apistos i would say a nice dark gravel, they dont like light substrates. Also it makes their colours pop more.

Out of interest what is your water change schedule and your filtration setup? Appistos and GBR's are demanding of pristene water parameters.