· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Cories and Otos on Floramax Substrate?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, all

I'm in the process of deciding which substrate to use in my upcoming planted aquariums, and CaribSea's Floramax (in black) seems like an attractive substrate that will do what I want. However, I understand it is rough as substrates go, and my desired stocking includes cory cats and otos. I've read a number of online discussions, and the consensus *seems* to be that people have kept cories on Floramax without issue in well-maintained aquariums.

Has anyone here had personal experience with cories and/or otos on this substrate? How did that work out? If Floramax is not appropriate, what would be the best alternative?

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would never use floramax with corydoras. Too sharp, and too easy for stuff to get caught in between the pieces.

I have had flourite black sand in my tanks for around a year. In one of the tanks I have habrosus corydoras, and in the other I have leucomelas and panda corydoras.

I have seen pictures posted of flourite black sand where the particles look very sharp, however, I must've lucked out because the stuff I got is fantastic. The grains are smooth, small, and evenly sized. My corydoras are all doing great. They have nice, long barbels and exhibit their normal behavior (sifting the sand through their gills to find food).
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend saving some money and getting Black diamond sand (50lb bag for 8bucks vs 20lb bag for 25bucks of flourite)

plant specific substrate is great, but after a while, you'll need to add tabs/ferts because what is "built" in doesn't last forever.
    so why not cut costs, get cheaper substrate, and in the long run you'll save money.

just my 2cents.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input!

[Edited]

nikelodeon79: How does the fluorite black sand perform as far as holding plants and supporting plant growth?

mizzoutank: that might be a great way to go. Do you use fertilizer tabs? If so, are they okay for use in tanks that contain (or might someday contain) shrimp?
    Last edited by dr_lew; 02-20-2013 at 03:25 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_lew View Post
    Thanks for the input!

How does the fluorite black sand perform as far as holding plants and supporting plant growth?
    I've been very happy with it on all counts.

I do not recommend black diamond sand for corydoras. It is blasting sand and is meant to be sharp for that purpose. It is very sharp. I used it in my mbuna tank and actually cut my hands washing the stuff. It's cheap, it looks great, but it's not corydora safe, IMO.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What grade of black diamond did you use that was so harsh, nikelodeon79? I've done a bit of reading, and it seems a lot of folks use the fine (20-40) grade without issue.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2nd that Dr. Lew

I have them on the fine (20-40) grade and have 0 issues.
    none on my cleaning/hands aspect when I did all that, and none for my cories.
    I went from a pebble substrate to this, and they are 100000000x happier with it.
    It is too fine of particle to be "sharp"
    The bigger grades, i can see that being an issue, but what most people get, it isn't an issue. just like regular sand.
    highly recommended product by many members, for cory's and growing plants. it works well on both, but best is the price!

edit: saw the question for the tabs and shrimp.

there won't be any issues for that because your tabs should be deep enough that the shrimp cannot dig to get them.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_lew View Post
    What grade of black diamond did you use that was so harsh, nikelodeon79? I've done a bit of reading, and it seems a lot of folks use the fine (20-40) grade without issue.
    I honestly can't remember what grade I used. I know it was the finest grade carried by my local home depot store.

I am a cory fanatic, however, and you'll see me be a lot more fanatic in my substrate recommendations.

I believe I have a photo comparing the various types of sand substrate... I'll see if I can dig it up.