· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Discus Tank Shopping list

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys, Im new to this forum but certainly not to the fishkeeping hobby,
    Ok I have 3 marine tanks that are doing very well, and 2 tropical tanks,
    I am planning on buying this tank http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123 to keep discus fish in, the last dimension I am told is the height. 29.3" so I think its got good height, as I am told discus fish like to swim upwards more so than across, I have been hunting high and low for a good size fish tank and finally settled on this one :)
    Anyway moving on I am wondering what else I need to purchase for it, I assume it needs good heaters etc.. I am not planning on keeping any plants in it atm, I may think about breeding at some stage in the future but not right now, as I would like to get use to keeping them and their regime etc..
    I have been reading thru all the experts comments over the last few days and done lots of research into their needs etc.. but what I need for the tank I havnt been able to find out so I wouldn't mind some assistance

0 Not allowed!
    For the tank, you don't really need anything else but a couple of heaters capable of holding at least 84F, and double filtration.

Since you don't plan on any plants, stock light should be okay. Discus like dim lighting anyway. The only thing I can see is that you'll probably be needing some driftwood or something to provide a little cover.

You'll also need some high quality food. There are quite a few good people here to speak to on this issue. Cermet being the first person who comes to mind. Good luck!
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha yes, thanks for getting back to me, been reading thru your threads lol, do I need anything like sand? and would coral sand be any good? as I got tonnes of it spare lol

0 Not allowed!
    No, Coral sand is not appropriate for FW fish and bare bottom would be better yet for sanitary purposes.

I would suggest you budget for a QT tank, There are lots of good reasons to have one.
    See here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=77072
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretless Aardvark View Post
    No, Coral sand is not appropriate for FW fish and bare bottom would be better yet for sanitary purposes.

I would suggest you budget for a QT tank, There are lots of good reasons to have one.
    See here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=77072
    Ok thanks, I just wondered, I do have a QT tank for my marine fish already

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry guys I realise that you've all blown me down about using coral sand, but I was asking as ive seen others using play sand etc on here and wondered whether it may also be suitable, but have heeded what you have said about it not being and wont use it

0 Not allowed!
    Practicalfishkeeping has had some good discuss articles on the site recently. Since it's a uk site it might be easier for you. Also, Mark Evenden is supposed to be one of the top discus dealers in your country: http://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

0 Not allowed!
    Tank size is everything and I see no tank size listed yet other than the height. The max Discus that's been recommended for 55 gallon has been 4-5. Bare bottom tank may be fine for raising the young Discus but once they were a bit older, I would try to keep them in a natural setting for their own comfort. I would also keep them as a species only tank or perhaps just a few tetra's.

No coral as it raises pH and Discus want very soft water with low pH. Without that, I would not even attempt to keep them. Good luck.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Get a reliable heater and keep it at 29-30 celsius, really bad sign to use the coral sand, as stated it will raise your pH. Discus tend to like stability more so than other fish and they love water changes. Unless you are buying adult discus, you should be doing large water changes at least every 3 days, large being >60%. Try to buy at least a 3.5 inch fish, remember Discus are social fish, you need at least 5 and preferably 6.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Tank size is everything and I see no tank size listed yet other than the height. The max Discus that's been recommended for 55 gallon has been 4-5. Bare bottom tank may be fine for raising the young Discus but once they were a bit older, I would try to keep them in a natural setting for their own comfort. I would also keep them as a species only tank or perhaps just a few tetra's.

No coral as it raises pH and Discus want very soft water with low pH. Without that, I would not even attempt to keep them. Good luck.
    The tank size as stated on the link I posted is 1200 x 477 x 745 mm / 47.2" (4ft) x 18.8" x 29.3 which my husband informs me is roughly 90 us gallons