· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Amelia, go for the sunsun. You need that turnover for peace of mind.

As to mattenfilter. Here's the theory: http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/
    Back in the late 70s-mid 80s they were extremely popular over here. I remember one guy who had 2 meters of stunning discus (quite an achievement back then) tank and the whole backwall of the tank was one massive mattenfilter.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I would go for a sunsun. Or two smaller sunsuns (http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animal...-565007573.htm) - works out cheaper, and without the UV... that's the one I have.

Also, my sunsun is really quiet, too.

Edit: Also, check out www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz - they stock a few brands of HOBs, and they sell water changers as well. They ship equipment country-wide.
    Last edited by dizzydezzy; 02-21-2013 at 08:36 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Why take a saw to that tank?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i missed alot of the posts above, but ime you do get what you pay for. just something to think about. maybe save up to get a RENA... itll last years more than the budget ones...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    i missed alot of the posts above, but ime you do get what you pay for. just something to think about. maybe save up to get a RENA... itll last years more than the budget ones...
    of the 5 brands of canisters i have, the fluvals are the only ones that have given me any trouble Not to be argumentative, but which did you have and how long did your budget filters last?

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    You might consider building your own power filter. I built a system that resembles a LifeGard. Very easy and very cheap. The one I built was built for a very large water volume (Silent Giant chemical pump) I plumed it to under the house in the crawl space. Built a large Styrofoam box over. I had three very large pvc pipes with screw on tops and pressure valve. Of course you can choose any size. I ran floss in one chamber, Chemi pure in one and I can't remember the last? maybe charco sacks. Thread the water to the top of first tube (floss) and out the bottom then up to the top of next and out the bottom and so on. I also built like a chamber that you could slide the filter material out. Very cheap and very effective. I would valve the pump to control water flow and I can't remember but you might need to vent it. Good Luck
    Mike
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 07:28 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Mike View Post
    You might consider building your own power filter. I built a system that resembles a LifeGard. Very easy and very cheap. The one I built was built for a very large water volume (Silent Giant chemical pump) I plumed it to under the house in the crawl space. Built a large Styrofoam box over. I had three very large pvc pipes with screw on tops and pressure valve. Of course you can choose any size. I ran floss in one chamber, Chemi pure in one and I can't remember the last? maybe charco sacks. Thread the water to the top of first tube (floss) and out the bottom then up to the top of next and out the bottom and so on. I also built like a chamber that you could slide the filter material out. Very cheap and very effective. I would valve the pump to control water flow and I can't remember but you might need to vent it. Good Luck
    Mike
    Mike, without any biological filteration, you would have some serious water quality problems
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes but I believe the floss acted like a
    bio filter. I cleaned it under salt water and replaced it to the same system. I also put plastic faucets on the bottom of each tube to let the water out so I could service the chambers. Eventually moved everything to garage for easier service. left the pump under house. Of course, my wife had a fit when I drilled holes through the floor in house for the pipes. :) I valved the pump and the unwanted flow I directed back to the tank for water movement in the tank.
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    I can't remember but I might have put in a reverse flow under the substrata also. First installed a grid of drilled PVC, next a crate like plastic. then a fiberglass screen (window screen), then substrata. Suspend heavy deco. with pvc posts so there are no dead spots. Controlled waterflow just until the gravel boiled. Won't work for many types of aquarium life, but under certain conditions a great Bio Filter

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    The large pump had enough water for everything I needed in the tank and sump. I put the Styrofoam vented box over the pump so loud noise was reduced (pump was under our bedroom)
    Double layer the box with foam and vented for the heat. I also had a smaller Silent Giant next to sump for a back-up. put sensors on top and bottom of sump to control every thing in case of emergency.