· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    How difficult would it be to have supplies shipped in from the US? I've gotten crayfish and fish from Germany several times, non-living items should be less expensive because they wouldn't need to be shipped Express.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    The US is on 110volts 60hz, new Zealand is on 230 50hz. Aquarium equipment tends not to have the universal power supplies we take for granted in portable electronics.

0 Not allowed!
    Just a note here (being from New Zealand) - the traders that sell the SunSun on TradeMe actually have a store in Auckland, and they offer warranties and can source SunSun parts if needed, so it's really not an issue.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    What I do wonder is how one of those would work on a planted tank. My instinct tells me the algae will steal most of the nutrients from the plants
    You are absoultly correct; with a scrubber, one must add nitrates. Fish will provide all the phosphates needed even with a scrubber.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow... So many replies!

Dezzy: That sounds great, I may look into the Sunsun's more. Does yours have a UV? I can't seem to find any models which come without it.

Aardvark: No I don't have a fish room, and I struggle to cut backgrounds in a straight line let alone build a sump... I think it fill be a few more years before I tackle something like that.

ToddnBecca: Dutchie nailed it -- I've never actually seen HOBs for sale over here. Plus I like the fact that canisters can be discreetly hidden away, since aesthetic appeal is very important for me on my tanks. This one will be the centerpiece in my lounge. And shipping would be insane. I tried to order an Aqueon Water Changer from the states once, seeing as they don't sell any water changers at all over here. Shipping cost more than the item itself, plus the exchange rate made it even more expensive again. And then there's also a sizeable fee you have to pay to NZ Customs when you get anything imported. It's ridiculous. This is why everything in NZ is so expensive, because it costs an arm and 2 legs to get anything into the country.

Dutchie: sorry... Mattenfilter? What's that?

Cermet: I assume you're not talking about a scrubbing pad for actually scrubbing algae? Is it some kind of sump with algae growing in it to process organic waste? I think I've heard of those. Same deal though... That would involve construction. That sounds like a very efficient system though, if it is what I think it is. Something I'd definitely have to keep in mind for future. This tank won't be planted so that won't be an issue... just the fact that I couldn't build one if I tried. Never built anything in my life.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    I can't seem to find any models which come without it..
    The model numbers are 302, 303 and 304 (smallest to largest). The model number will be differentiated with either an "A" or a "B", depending on whether it has the UV or not. The 302 generally does not come with UV. The 303 comes as both. The 304 generally has the UV. You don't have to use it- there is a switch for it.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Jaysee, I'll look that up. :)

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    A mattenfilter is basically a giant sponge filter, either curved to fit in a corner or simply placed on one end of the tank. Very low-maintenance, and provides a great environment for a breeding or growout tank since the filter surface supports loads of micro-critters for small fry to feed on.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh interesting! Never heard of it.

So, final poll... Should I go with the higher-rated cheapie filter (eg. Sunsun, rated for 2000lph/528gph) or pay a little bit more for an eheim 2217 which is rated for less (only 1000lph/265gph) but probably far better quality.

Oh and Dezzy and Jaysee... Are your Sunsun's quiet? I don't want to feel like there's an engine running in my lounge. My Eheim 2215 runs near-silently.
    Last edited by Amelia; 02-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    When I got my first, I would have to check to make sure it was running. I run 2 canister systems and the sunsuns spray bars are mounted vertically, so I couldn't just look at the outflow to know. They're as quiet as the name brand canisters I use.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10