· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Help! Which Canister?

0 Not allowed!
    Morning, AC. Please bear with me on the following post as I will have to be converting litres to gallons several times and will likely make a mistake somewhere.

So I have recently purchased a 118g (450L) tank for my SA Cichlids. It currently runs a Juwel internal filter rated for 264gph (1000Lph). This turns the water over in the tank 2.5x in an hour. Ideally I would love to have a 10x turnover seeing as this is a cichlid tank, but I've come to realize this may be unrealistic. My 65g (250L) tank runs an internal filter rated for 158gph (600lph), with an additional Eheim 2215 canister rated at approx. 165gph (625lph), turning the volume of the tank over approximately 5x which I find pretty ideal.

HERE are all the canisters I have available to be... As you can see, they are horrendously expensive. I have looked at Eheim as I like the Eheim I have but to get one rated for 118g -- let alone double, which I was initially aiming for -- are well into the $500+. The only Fluval rated for my tank size or larger (the FX5) is $600. Then there's the larger rated Aqua Ones for $400 -- still ridiculously expensive.

Then there is the cheaper range of canisters with built in UV filters. I've always avoided them but it looks like they may be my only option. I take the flow rate they've stated with a pinch of salt, I know it's easy for them to put whatever they like on the side of the box. Is the any benefit to having a UV filter?
    Sunsun rated for 528gph (2000lph) -- http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animal...-562902932.htm
    Boyu rated for 330gph (1250lph) -- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=563495349
    No-name rated for 475gph (1800lph) -- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=564667645
    "Best Fish Tank" rated for 370gph (1400lph) -- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=563259871

So, are there any filters in there that stand out to anyone as being suitable? Or an I doomed to put this tank into storage as I can't afford to buy a canister to run on it.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, cheapie filters... Most people will tell you to get the expensive one, you get what you pay for, and I suppose that is often true...
    However, I'm somewhat limited on funds myself, and have been running a SunSun on my 45 gallon (HW-302 1000l/hr) for a year now, and I have had absolutely no trouble with it.
    The filter case is HUGE, you can fit a lot of biomedia in there (by the way it doesn't come with media but I got some from the same trademe seller for about $20 extra).
    I have never measured the flow rate myself. Most of the time the flow rate stated on the box (even for the pricey up-market filters) is the rate at which it would pump without media and level with the tank (i.e. highest flow the pump is capable of), and judging on how lively my sunsun is with the media and almost 1.5 metres lower than the water line, I would say they probably didn't fib about the flow rate on it... or at least, not by much.
    The UV filter in those canisters is pretty innefective, as the water (at those flow rates) is not exposed to the uv for long enough to do much, if anything - you might be better off looking at the non-UV option.

0 Not allowed!
    I've got several sunsuns, in all the sizes, and I like them very much. I agree that the UV is useless for anything more than fixing green water...if it can even do that.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you also researched available parts for the filters?

That is another bonus for a more popular brand-they generally have parts available for easy repair vs an entire new canister.

Just a thought.

0 Not allowed!
    While I admit to loving me some EHEIMS But... The first thought that occurs to me is this:

If you have the room ---> Build a sump, It's the most bang for the buck wrt filtration.

Just an idea

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 02-20-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I know, sunsuns are clones of the marineland C series. I have wondered if parts are interchangeable, though I've not had to do any repairs to mine. It's not like there are a ton of moving parts that would need repair. I've broken some of the plumbing pieces and emailed the seller and gotten replacements. If I ever have something more serious break, I plan to do the same.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Why must it be a canister filter? I use Aquaclear hob filters on most of my tanks, much less expensive and easier to clean/maintain as well. I run 2 110's (500 gph each) on my 125, 3 on the 220.
    Other alternative, you could do a matternfilter with either an air pump or a powerhead (or both) to circulate the water.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Amelia has Juwel tanks. Juwel is a German brand which primarily sells on the European market. Over here in Europe Hob filters are pretty rare. The juwel aquariums require you to take a saw to the hood to place a hob filter. So a hob filter is not a very attractive option.

A mattenfilter is an option of course. From the above mentioned canisters the sunsun sometimes shows up here. Quality control isn't the greatest but if you get a good one it will work without problems.

A canister, like a sump, is pretty simple technology and there's possibilities to build it yourself.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    An algae scrubber based slump - if you have the room - is vastly superior to any other filter -period -since it will process not just ammonia but both nitrates and phosphates (and even other organics no other filter will touch.) Also, with such a unit your tank will never suffer from algae or BGA! The issue is building it, having the room, and weekly maintance (clean out the algae mass.) These units work best with an existing filter and since you build it, parts are not an issue to replace since you already know where you ordered the stuff (lol.)

0 Not allowed!
    What I do wonder is how one of those would work on a planted tank. My instinct tells me the algae will steal most of the nutrients from the plants