· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My niece's tank has ick...

0 Not allowed!
    My niece always calls me with fish issues and I wanted to check on this before really telling her what to do. She has a 50 gal tank and water perms are all good (Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are low.. forgot exact but still good) Anyway she brought home some Black tetras 2 days ago and they all had ick. Now her tank which has cories and otos in it is full of ick. Don't even start in on the quarantine that she should have done. :-) No other tank just like me. She is in a different state too where it's hard to find stores that sell things.

I've always had good luck with raised temps and salt. But with the tetras and cories, I told her to hold off till I asked here to be certain. I think she also has Neon tetras like I do and Harl. Rasboras and mollies. What would be her best choice of action?
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I just answered this for someone else. This treatment depends on who is doing it; a commercial treatment for Ick is reather easy and these have good directions. Some Ick may not be cured with these meds. You can find out by trying one. All lfs and department stores with pet supplies carry ick med.

Salt and heat always works but takes some time and careful addition of salt (replacing lost salt with water changes) and is not for everyone.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She can do difficult... its a matter of not killing the cories or tetras to treat it. What is safe for them Medicine wise?
    Pretty much she has a walmart unless she travels 100 miles for a petstore. How high can temps go for cories?
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    slowly raise temp from current temp to 84-86. Personally I monitor up to 90degrees without ill effects but its up to you to go that extreme.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok and those fish can handle the high temps and salt?

Any idea of how long she will need to treat with salt so she knows how much salt to buy?
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Cermet and Sandz

I've successfully treated ich with heat only. The trick is to get the temp up to 86 and keep it there for 5 - 7 days AFTER she sees the last spot on her fish. then slowly lower the temp, do several partial water changes and vac the heck out of the tank
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. And since its been awhile since I've done any ICK treatments...
    What steps do I tell her if she chooses salt? How much per gal, Is it still vacumn and W/C every day or every other?

I've always done the salt/heat mix but never did mine that high.. I think I stayed at 80F.
    She says her walmart has Jungle Ick Cure but that it states its too strong for cories and to get Ick Cure II - which walmart doesn't have. Of course! I've always had issues with meds and always loose a fish with them and never lose with salt. Just want to make sure I'm telling her right and getting her a full list of info. She doesn't have internet so I'm her voice. Thank you so much.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    because she has cories which are salt sensitive fish, just stick with heat. 86F
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok. I did treat my cories once with salt and they did ok. Maybe because I had mollies at the time I kept it brackish and they were more adapted to it. I don't thin she salts hers. Thanks I'll give her a call.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick update and new question.
    Her fish are doing well though 2 of the 3 did not survive. The 3rd one still has spots on it though no other fish have. I thought after a few days of high temps the spots should have dropped off and be trying to reproduce by now right? Am beginning to wonder if her fish have ick or not . I've never heard of if holding on like that.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater