· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default my first issue with ick!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there!
    My 55 gallon tetra tank is showing signs if ick....Do any of you have suggestions for the best med to use?
    I have corys, a pleco, diamonds, black neons, congos, columbians,silver tips and rosy tetras....
    Thank you!!!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    There are two methods - off-the-self meds is the first and easy. Meds work for most Ick, are easy to use and have good directions. Most lfs have them as do most department store (i.e. WallyMart ... I mean WalMart.) The trouble is, some Ick does not respond to Ick these commercial treatments. Then you do the standard and the method that works - high temperature and salt. Google the method but most people suggest 1, 2 or even three teaspoons of salt per 10 gal and some say tablespoon. Raising the temperature depends on the fish but for standard tropicals, 82 F or a bit higher can work well. Treatment takes at least two weeks and I've read that is just the first cycle of ick and another treatment may be needed. Again, google but do expect to read different treatment methods - so, decide on one that you feel is best for your types of fish; fish without 'scales' need half dose of salt ... one of those ... . Others here will (I hope) add their treatments that have worked with a specific dose and temp. I've never had to treat for Ick so I really have no experience expect google searches.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-19-2013 at 09:35 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    did you recently add new fish?

if so, which and what are your current stocking #'s?

the pleco and cory's won't enjoy the salt treatment, nor certain medications. you'll have to get copper safe meds for them.

can you get a picture of the "signs" that you see?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    everyone is giving you good advice. I've recently successfully treated ich with heat only. I raised the temp to 86 degrees (over a 2 day period) and kept it there for 7 days AFTER I'd seen the very last spot on my fish. I did partial water changes during this period (a good 2 weeks total) and vaced, always making certain I replace water at the same 86 degrees. After your extra 7 days, do some more partial water changes over the course of a few days and gradually lower the heat back to 78 or 80 - where ever you keep it. It worked for me. Didn't lose any fish.
    Good luck. It's a crummy thing for have to deal with - especially for the fish.
    t
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,
    ok, I have 6 corys, 1 long finned pleco, 4 congos, 6 diamonds, 6 black neons, 9 rosy tetras, 6 silver tips and 5 columbians....I just added 3 diamonds and the columbians
    My tank was fishless cycled for a month and I have spent the past month and a half stocking it...
    I grabbed some Jungle Ick Clear fizz tabs (anyone use these before?) I am leary about adding salt to the tank b/c of my corys....

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE= I've recently successfully treated ich with heat only. I raised the temp to 86 degrees (over a 2 day period) and kept it there for 7 days AFTER I'd seen the very last spot on my fish. I did partial water changes during this period (a good 2 weeks total) and vaced, always making certain I replace water at the same 86 degrees. After your extra 7 days, do some more partial water changes over the course of a few days and gradually lower the heat back to 78 or 80 - where ever you keep it.Good luck. [/QUOTE]

This sounds good...I treated with the Ick Clear last night when I panicked (after the bluness filtered out the water looks cloudy and awful). I sit and watch my fish ALOT, and I just noticed the salt-like crystals yesterday, so I'm sure I caught it as soon as I could. I'm going to do a water change now and start to slowly increase the temp...it's at about 78 now. .....86 sounds high, but i'll do it....

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should do several daily water changes in a row to get rid of the medication. Your fish should be okay with the 86 temp. check their profiles and their suggested high end water temp. Remember that those are ideal temps and many can stand several degrees higher for limited periods of time. If some of them start acting stressed - like not eating or swimming up and down erratically after a few days of heat treatment - then you might want to net them and put them in a QT and treat them separately. but I don't think you'll have to resort to that.
    Good luck and keep us posted. Ich is a horrible thing to go through - I think it stressed me as much as it did the fish :o(
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am suffering the same problem. I have heavily planted tank & pleco as well so there is no way I am adding that much salt to it. I have used this before and it worked well, but I never had any type of cat fish in there...might work for you too https://big-als-pets-canada.webstore...W?searchPage=1

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    eeks...I don't have a QT tank at present....actually the white spots have decreased since this morning. Is that possible? It's late here now, but I will do a few more water changes in the morning...
    You guys have been so halpful! Thank you!!!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh...I also added another air stone for extra O2....so now there are 2 airstones and a 12" bubbling bar..