· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to mizzoutank and dutchie. I like rainbow sharks alot IME, they are very active and entertaining, but wont hesitate to nip. So Another stocking option could be a school of larger barbs, or giant danio, and 1 rainbow shark.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with mizzou on this.

Do at least part sand, part gravel if you don't want to do all sand. Use pebbles as a dividing line. Get in a good layer of leaf litter and plant and use some sticky driftwood. Ideally you'd want 3-4 clumps of dense and tall plants.
    Black ruby barbs are a milder mannered cousin of the tiger barb and a lot rarer at least over here.

Problem with asian barbs is there's at least a dozen really nice species to chose from and it's not easy to mix them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to keep some variation from just barbs in the tank. I really enjoy the ones I have now, because there pretty active, and fun to watch.

However, I do want a variety of fish in the tank, as I think it would give more to look at, and different behaviors between species. I know barbs have a wide color variation, so a mainly barb tank is possible, but I'd like to house a few others.

Other fish I'd like to get
    Upside down cat fish (My daughter loves these)
    and Dalmatian Mollies (She loves these as well)

If it would work, I think something like this would look nice for what I want.
    3 Tiger Barbs
    3 Green Barbs
    3 Albino Barbs
    6 Black-Ruby Barbs
    3 Dalmation Mollies
    6 Catfish

All these fish, minus the mollies grow to a max of 3 inches, and the molly up to 4. I don't think this would be a bio-overload to the tank, though I could be wrong, and thats a reason I'm here.

0 Not allowed!
    Bio loadwise it's fine.

Can't help you any further really, haven't kept mollies in well over 2 decades. I do know that dealers being dealers there's several species being sold as upside down catfish. Readup on sydontis and identification of them before you land yourself with some 8 inch big ones.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Few questions. What are signs that the silicon should be redone? Some of the silicone in the corner and edges looks a bit worn, but I know the tank holds water fine. Should I reseal over top? or strip it out, and reseal it?
    Also, a previous owner painted the back of the tank black. I'm not really sure I like this. Good ideas for stripping the paint off? or just leave it as is?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    I'd like to keep some variation from just barbs in the tank. I really enjoy the ones I have now, because there pretty active, and fun to watch.

If it would work, I think something like this would look nice for what I want.
    3 Tiger Barbs
    3 Green Barbs
    3 Albino Barbs
    6 Black-Ruby Barbs
    3 Dalmation Mollies
    6 Catfish
    You have a lot more room for fish in this set up.
    I would bump up those schools to make sure your barbs are happy and keep their activity within their friends.

I would try and suggest getting rid of one barb species and doing 8 of the remaining 3. you'll still get the variety but they'll be happy with the increased school size.

What catfish are you talking about? the cory cats? if so put in 10 of them. you'll see them out and about more and they'll enjoy their friends. (they are a schooling species afterall)

and you are risking the mollies in a barb set up. proper schools will ideally keep their aggression to each other, but if they get 'bored" they'll tear apart a molly :(

Edit: this is all dependent on having the proper filtration too.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 02-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see what you mean about the Mollies. I could put them in my 20 when all is said and done...

As far as the barbs go. But, being that the tiger, green, and albino are basically in the same group, won't they consist of one school? making it a 9 fish school?
    And the Black-Ruby barb school being 6 or larger if I want to.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They would, and since they are the same species. it is considered a school.

but i'm more of a fan for bigger numbers of the same colors. but either way, you have a big tank, so if you want that variety, make it a massive tiger barb tank.
    i would do at least 6 each. (if not 8). you'll have a very active and cool looking tank.

and I think your daughter would like that, keep her fish safe and can do an entire molly tank with her own decor and stuff.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Been a while since I've updated, but finally got rolling on the tank.
    Cleaned the hell out of everything I'm putting in, and the tank itself. Just hot water and elbow grease, no soaps.

I have about 1/3 of the base sand, which transfers into about 2/3 gravel. It turned out pretty much how I liked it. I've thrown a few decorations in it, and a few shells my daughter picked up from the ocean last summer. I ran into a few leaks in the filter system, which I should be able to get squared away tonight, so I can turn it on, and leave it on, and start the cycle.

I'll be putting in some live plants here in a few days, once the water gets up to temp, and I'm hoping that will help speed up the cycle process, which I believe it has helped in my other two small tanks.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pumps running, and the tank is currently cycling.

Here is the tank right now