· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 75 Gal Build and Q&A

0 Not allowed!
    Over the weekend I picked up a new 75 Gal tank off CL. Tank, stand, wet/dry filter, light bar and pretty much all they had as far as supplies go.

It was a planted tank, which I'm not against, but I'm not going for a heavily planted tank.
    So, I've emptied the tank, and I've scrubbed the tank out pretty well. My plan is to use a mixed substrate. The majority of the tank I'm going to use gravel, and about 1/4-1/3 of the tank I plan on putting in the plant substrate the previous owner had in it. They had a few nice driftwood pieces with plants already growing on them, and I'd like to incorporate that into this tank.
    Is it wise to do a dual bottom like that? What are some of the issues this could cause?

I'm going to be cleaning the crap out of the wet/dry filter tonight, and get is setup and ready to start putting water back in the tank. I have to replaces a few pieces of the filter, as one of the hoses split, but that shouldn't be a huge deal finding.

I'm hoping to get it filled with water, and substrate by the weekend, so I can get the cycle started. I have the two plants in my other tanks right now, hoping that they were carrying some BB, and it will transfer into those tanks, as well as keeping it alive until I can get the 75 setup and filtering properly.

As a relative first timer, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure what I'll be stocking the tank with, though I do plan on having 1 or 2 sharks in it.

0 Not allowed!
    The 1st thing I will offer is to keep only 1 shark - from what I've read about them, they don't like company of their own kind.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only real problem with different substrates it the difference in densities. Heavier and lighter materials will mix and settle etc. Use of a physical barrier between the substrates would solve this. Something like a strip of 1/8" x whatever depth you want acrylic could easily be formed into a shape if you don't want a hard straight line to separate the two. I am going to be doing some of this with my new set up. This will keep the materials from mixing.

I used Safe T Sorb in my 55g planted. I found it to be a great low cost planted substrate. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is pretty light weight so it moves around easily but looks great.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Andrea I was under the impression that I could have say a rainbow shark, and a Bala shark. But not 2 of either. Is that correct, or is it sharks in general?

@Mrramsey - good thought. I wouldn't mind some mixing, make it look more natural, but I wouldn't want it to mix to the point of being the same mix across the bottom of the tank.

The two substrates are plain gravel, and what looks to be Eco-Complete, but I'm not 100% sure what it is.
    I wonder if I could mix some of the plant sub. with the gravel to help stabilize it?
    Last edited by gsxrated98; 02-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I use gravel with sand on top and both are the same color so not a big issue even if some gravel gets on top; also, I have zero need to stir my substrate since I have a reverse flow UGF that prevents organics from building up in the substerate. A useful method if stirring would cause substrate issues - even in a planted tank, stirring the substrate is critical for a healthy tank. So, unless you do what I have, your gravel/sand will be mixed after stirring .... .
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-19-2013 at 02:15 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    @Andrea I was under the impression that I could have say a rainbow shark, and a Bala shark. But not 2 of either. Is that correct, or is it sharks in general?
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/sharkfish/balashark.php - this link indicates that balas are much happier in groups or they hide - plus they get super big. Rainbow sharks from my understanding aren't considered good community fish due to their aggression.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ya, once you see a full grown bala shark, you'll realize anything less than 150gallons for them is like a gorilla in a bath tub.
    They get big, they are super active, and need their buddies for the school. so the bala shark is out of the question.

in regards to the rainbow shark, or red tailed shark. you can do one in the tank, but realize that one fish will limit you to only being able to add a few pleco's as the bottom dwellers.
    those two species of shark will terrorize any other bottom dwellers such as loaches, khulis, rams, cory cats.

so keep that in mind for whatever else you are thinking for adding.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrated98 View Post
    As a relative first timer, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure what I'll be stocking the tank with, though I do plan on having 1 or 2 sharks in it.

I know a thing or two about planted tanks. There's not much to go on here. What it comes down to is plants need light and nutrient. If that unknown substrate has been in use for some time it may already be lacking in some nutrients.

As to the stocking and actually the planting as well.... you got the luxury of a relatively clean slate. I would strongly advice you to take a holistic approach to the project. See what fish you want to see happy and thriving in there and really think about what you want to look at. I know what I like in a tank but do you? Once you got some ideas about both then you face the challenging of adjust them to eachother.

Example in this case. The bala shark which is popular with newbies grows to 10-12 inches. It's active and it needs groups. You don't have the space to offer them a good home long term. Because of their feeding habits shrimps are automatically out.

Another popular "shark" the red tailed. Single individual only and it may well end up terrorizing other inhabitants.

Now let's say you want cories. Most species do a lot better on sand. So if you don't take that into account now you're limiting yourself later on.

Please don't misunderstand me, this is intended as constructive criticism, the eventual choice is of course yours, all I'm trying to do here is nudge your thoughts a bit.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @talldutchie - I'll take all the constructive criticism I can get. In my 20gal that I have now, I have 2 pepper cats, and 6 barbs. I plan on moving at least the Cats to the 75G tank, and giving them a few more friends, as I was told they like groups of 5-6.
    I really think I'm going to go with a tank with smaller fish in schools.
    One fish I know I do want, is a school of black-ruby barbs.

I like the option of having some larger fish, but I do want to keep sizes at a minimum. I think 5" will be the max.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    since you are interested in mega community, i would suggest this:

15 pepper cats (trust me, you'll really see their fun behavior once you hit 10+)
    25 Black ruby barbs (or do like 12 black ruby's and 12 tiger)

since you are wanting the barbs, it'd be ideal to keep it a species tank of barbs. they get aggressive/nippy otherwise.