· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Tank AND Ich... PLEASE HELP!

0 Not allowed!
    I need help. :( Well here goes....

I have had a 10g with 2 platties and 1 female betta for quite some time. I recently purchased a 36 gallon, let it cycle, and moved the fish over. I have kept the 10g up and running as a quarintine tank as I purchase new fish. Yesterday, I purchased a rainbow shark (1.5") and 2 leopard bush fish (less than 1" each). These three are currently in the quarantine tank, and unfortunately, I just noticed one of the leopard bush fish has ich! What should be my next steps to treat? Should I remove the rainbow shark and other bush fish to the 36g? I am thinking I should wait so I do not risk exposing the platties and betta. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are steps to take if you intend to cure the ich, but if you just got these fish yesterday I'd recommend taking them back to the store and showing them the problem.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. you should return the fish if you just got them. And most likely all are affected by ich. Additionally, both of these fish get up to 6 or more inches and a 36 gallon tank simply isn't big enough.

If you cannot return them for some reason, you may have to resort to medication as opposed to heat treatment as I just read the profile of the spotted leopard fish and 77 is it's max temperature range. To get rid of ich with heat you need to bring your tank to 86 degrees for at least 10 days. you could try Kordon's Ich Attack or Mardel's Coppersafe - but do read up on your fish's profiles to see if they can tolerate medication.

There is also a very good article here on the forum under fish diseases that outlines different ich treatments.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys so much for your help! Unfortunately, I live just over 3 hours from my LFS, so with my work schedule it would be near impossible to do for a while. I was thinking about calling them though, so at the very least they are aware of the problem (although, I'm sure they already know). In the mean time, it would seem my only option is to treat the ich. Another question though... In the last day or so, I have read many articles on how to treat ich, but it seems there are many different methods. Since I can't use the heat option, should I try medication, daily 50% water changes, and adding salt? I also read the medication does not get ich off the infected fish, but merely prevents it from attaching to other fish. Is that true? If so how do I get the ich off the infected fish? At what point should I move the other two fish over if they do not appear to have ich?

Thanks for your help! I feel more comfortable getting answers from this forum than anywhere else! :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerBarb213 View Post
    Thank you guys so much for your help! Unfortunately, I live just over 3 hours from my LFS, so with my work schedule it would be near impossible to do for a while. I was thinking about calling them though, so at the very least they are aware of the problem (although, I'm sure they already know). In the mean time, it would seem my only option is to treat the ich. Another question though... In the last day or so, I have read many articles on how to treat ich, but it seems there are many different methods. Since I can't use the heat option, should I try medication, daily 50% water changes, and adding salt? I also read the medication does not get ich off the infected fish, but merely prevents it from attaching to other fish. Is that true? If so how do I get the ich off the infected fish? At what point should I move the other two fish over if they do not appear to have ich?

Thanks for your help! I feel more comfortable getting answers from this forum than anywhere else! :)
    The way ich works is: medication won't work until the parasite falls off the fish onto the bottom of the tank where it multiplies. The medication kills the babies before they can find a fish to jump onto (therefore you are correct). I don't know whether salt will work along with meds - usually salt is used with an increase in temp. You will need to use a bubbler/airstone to add oxygen if you are going to add meds. Also, you need to remove the carbon from your filter - carbon will absorb medication.

As noted above, please remember that fish in a store are ALL going to be small - it's up to you to research potential size and aquarium size requirements BEFORE purchase! Please do not rely upon store employees to steer you the right way - they are generally there to make sales & bag fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies