· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blsnelling View Post
    My 14 year old daughter Anna, and myself, are setting up a new 90G tank. You can see our setup here, LINK. It's a 90G tank with an Eheim 2217 filter.

I would love to get your advice on stocking it. I love variety and lots of color. I've settled on CA/SA Cichlids in order to avoid the most aggressive Cichlids. I want to be able to mix in some schooling fish. Anyway, here's what I'm currently considering.

1 male Rotkeil Severum
    1 male Golden Severum
    1 male Blue Acara

3 Denisoni Barbs
    3 Boesemani Rainbows
    3 Congo Tetras
    3 Silver Dollars
    8 Juli Cories
    That's a lot of fish for a 90g. A severum can get to the size of an adult hand (around 6" in diameter and close to 2" thick) when given the right care.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Where could I purchase a Rotkeil? I've been searching, and coming up empty.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know where you are located but my favorite shop in teh USA is the wet spot. They are selling them for $4 at 1in. If you are ordering all your fish, they will be able to get you a great package deal and shipping will only happen once. Otherwise you could address a LFS to see if they will custom order one.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My first Cichlid! It's a beautiful little female Black Convict. She's only about 1 1/2" long.

Look at the beautiful colors in the fins!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The convict is beautiful but you've just changed your stocking completely :o)
    Here's info from a profile I picked up when I googled:
    Compatibility/Temperament: This is not a community fish. Best in a species tank; a pair may be kept in a 36-inch (40+ gallon) tank. In much larger tanks (over 6 feet) it may be kept with a few other Central American cichlids that are robust. This species is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids.
    Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...#ixzz2LlwwFBcf

Just thought I'd share that with you as I don't think you can now stock with any of the fish you were thinking about :o(

I'm also a bit confused. I thought you had just begun a fishless cycle ... did you change your mind and decide to cycle with fish?
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-23-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This fish is not in the new tank. I will be starting my fishless cycle probably Monday. I didn't have a chance to pick up my ammonia yet. Maybe I'll be taking this guy back. I saw those beautiful colors and couldn't help myself, lol.

0 Not allowed!
    So... you're wanting to do a cichlid tank.. you sollicit advice and then you buy a convict for an uncycled tank?

Or am I missing something?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    So... you're wanting to do a cichlid tank.. you sollicit advice and then you buy a convict for an uncycled tank?

Or am I missing something?
    Yes, you missed something. This fish is not in the new tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Convicts will harass any fish the close to its size. The other cichlids should be at least 3x the size of the convict and be as mean as it.