· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Aquarium Salt vs Table salt

0 Not allowed!
    So I was looking up info for my mom as usual and came across a few articles and other things saying it CAN be ok to use table salt or better and safer Sea salt for tanks instead of aquarium salt if you run out, or want a cheaper Ick cure. There is debate over the iodine saying it contains too much but yet others say no enough to hurt fish (and I thought about my plant ferts containing iodine) ..
    Wondered what others thought of this or if you've tried it? How did it work? With what species? Of course you can get non iodine salt or like they said sea salts and I even read one saying Rock Salt??!
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

0 Not allowed!
    With salts prepared for human consumption there often are other chemicals besides iodine that are added and that may be harmful to fish. I speculate that the reason aquarium salt is so coarsely ground in comparison to table salt is that if ground fine, it will start clumping, something that, in table salt, is prevented with anti clumping chemicals.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's the other part of argument that chemicals in it would hurt fish. But it sounds like many have tried it and had no issue. IDK- just thought I'd bring up the debate for fun.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

0 Not allowed!
    I have never tried it myself but being on the better safe than sorry side, along with the certainty that they are putting something in table salt, are enough grounds for me. It might be entirely possible that the will be no ill effects at all. If you have a free day where you can closely observe your fish and if necessary, do an emergency water change, why not try?

0 Not allowed!
    Table salt not only has iodine but many brands now have an anticaking agent I would not want in my tank.

I also think a bottle of good ich medication on standby is a good idea but prevention is a lot better. A lot of cases of ich we see on forums are a result of poor living conditions.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had success with Kosher Salt in treating ick before. I would never use regular table salt.. To many aditives put in it...

0 Not allowed!
    If I ever needed to put salt in my tank, I would use aquarium salt. Too much risk for me to want to try and experiment with anything else.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use natural rock salt and have never had any issues. Like some have said table salt contains anti caking agents and better safe then sorry

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    I have always used a small amount of salt in my tanks on a regular basis. Of course, if you fish who live in brackish water you would use more salt. Natural rock salt would be ok.