As I prepare to get back into the hobby in a big way, I want to include a live food program for my (future) fish. After doing some thorough reading up, I've decided the best option is a co-culture of daphnia and dero worms. Both species are aquatic and pretty straightforward to culture, based on the research, and both should be tempting for the kinds of fish I want to have. I'm thinking Daphnia Pulex should give me the best food yield from my culture, and I'm preferring Dero worms to Tubifex because I understood that some Tubifex are suspected of carrying parasites.

I went today and picked up a 10g aquarium and got it set up. It has a heater, a hood/light that used to be one of the two fixtures on my dead 60g, and is currently running my smaller HOB filter, which will be moved to a planned 29g mini-community. By then, I should have an airstone-driven foam filter, and I'll squeeze from the HOB filter to seed the foam filter and (I hope) keep my tank cycling. I got the cycle started (I hope) by dropping in a good, big pinch of sinking shrimp pellets. That ought to start the ammonia building up.

Here's everything waiting to be set up:

2013-02-18 15.28.16.jpg

And here it is mostly put together. With the mirror behind it, you can see portions of Dr_Lew. I deny everything.

2013-02-18 16.30.30.jpg

I used siphon hose to run water into the tank from the faucet nearby. This was a challenge, as I had to get enough flow pressure to get over the top of the hose. It went well enough once I had siphon pressure flowing to the tank, though it took a while. I got a surprise when I turned the faucets off and the siphon started drawing water OUT of the tank, but I probably should have known!

As soon as the supplies arrive, I'll add the foam filter, a "substrate" of polyester filter cloth for the Dero worms to live in, over a probably sparse layer of crushed coral, which I read was recommended to supply minerals for the carapaces of the Daphnia. I'm also planning on tossing in some anacharis or hornwort, and if they come with some snails, so be it.

I'm excited to see how this project turns out.