· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

Default What do you allow in temp. swing between a chiller/heater

0 Not allowed!
    Just curious but how much swing in temp. do you allow between the tank heater and the chiller activating. I plan on running the tank at 78 Deg.

Thanks,
    Mike

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure I understand. My tanks are set for 78 all the time. Temp might go up a tad during the heat of summer but it drops to normal again by evening. I use no chiller. I have a room air conditioner.

0 Not allowed!
    Is it a freshwater or saltwater tank? I am no saltwater keeper but I understand saltwater livestock require really stable temps. I have a freshwater planted and it is at 23-23.5 Celsius most of the time in winter. In summer temperatures fluctuate between 24-26.5 degrees Celsius.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    if you're keeping your tank at 78F, assuming the room it's in is always a few degrees below that, you'll never need a chiller. I would guess the majority of fish keepers do not have chillers. Are you expecting your room to get hot enough that you'll need one?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    Yes, due to lots of windows (16) the room gets very hot in the summer 85 +. I always like to keep optimal conditions for the aquarium. My tank can fluctuate quite a bit as the temps. cool way down at night. I have always set the swing pretty close but I wondered what other people do. With my larger tank I usually didn't worry much.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Pending on the fish or corals you have would determine the temperature swing. If it was me I would not let my tank get above 79-80f and not colder than 76f. If I had seahorses I would not let it swing more than +/- 1 degree from 75f.

My tanks stay ~78 at all times unless I am working on it and have the pumps shut off and the temp would drop a degree or two. I don't have a chiller but my house stays 69-72 at night (pending how cold outside) and no more than 76-77 during the summer. I also am adding solar screen to the big window in the fish tank room.... might black out the window as well.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith 

0 Not allowed!
    Great Info.
    Hmm, I just took down my Mylar on the Window... Maybe I''ll put it back up. Nice to know what you do as I was only guessing. Maybe I'll tighten up my settings. I do love Sea Horses but probably would be problematic with my planned tank. The Sea Horses are not very competitive when foods around.
    Last edited by 4Mike; 02-22-2013 at 03:07 AM.