· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again guys. I will be testing both tank and tap water once the test kit arrives. We shall see what the outcome is. I read something about (maybe) there being a ratio of nitrates to phosphates in which BGA can't grow. It's saved on my laptop; I'll post it tonight. I'm not sure I believe that; I guess the proof is if I ever get this under control. Really, a bit of BGA is not a problem for me; however, it seems like it explodes so even a little bit will turn into a lot without much effort.

Ugh, Cermet, I totally know the complexity of CO2. That's why I've been reluctant to try it. But, I was thinking, if I really like the plants and want them to grow well, why not? The light fixture I have is really high light, and at the upper end of the acceptable spectrum. CO2 might help balance that out so I don't have to work so darn hard all.the.time on this tank. But, this is not happening now. Later. Right now I have to figure out what's going on, clean it up, and get it somewhat stable.

You know, I am a pretty negative person in general. However, the good side to this BGA mess is that I get to clean out and change things in this tank...there is a lot in there that I don't like. It was the first tank I set up with any type of knowledge, and I hate the substrate (smooth pebbles), and the resin driftwood. These things do not work with what I want to do (like ADA style, but of course mine will be messier). So now, I have a perfect excuse to really do what I want and make it great. I'm really happy with my other three tanks, all done with planted substrate and with completely natural plants/wood/stone. It would be great if my biggest tank could be a beautiful sight as well.

There's your daily ray of sunshine (gag). Thanks again!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got the phosphate test today...although the test is really hard to read (the API one), the results look to be .5ppm at the most. Is this enought to feed BGA? I also tested one of my smaller tanks, and got a similar result, maybe a little lighter. I did get a bunch of the phos-zorb stuff; do I need to use it, or just return it?

So, phosphates are not my problem. The BGA does not seem to be coming back since I've cleaned a couple times, which is interesting. Maybe the UV sterilizer helped enough to slow it down a lot? IDK.
    Beth
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    A phosphate reading of 0.5 ppm is very low and would do little for BGA if nitrates are low. The water changes may have helped. A UV sterilizer can also help prevent BGA.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's been a couple of weeks, and the BGA is much much better. There has been very little growth of it on the leaves it was already on, and no new stuff on new growth. I am very happy.

Seems like my switching out the substrate to ecocomplete+floramax, running the UV sterilizer after water changes, and introducing CO2 made all the difference. The tank is more balanced.

BUT (and there is always a but, you know), now the crap is growing in both of my 10 gallon tanks. Argh. It's not really bad, but it's still there....worse in one than the other. I seriously wonder what this stuff is using to grow...these tanks are clean and balanced as best I can have them. Never ending journey, I guess!
    Beth