· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Water changes advice needed

0 Not allowed!
    hello fellow members,

As the titles states, i need some advice in regards to water changes. But first let me explain my method.

I have a 25g rubbermaid bucket that i fill up with tap water at the beginning of the week. I leave it all week to gas out the chlorine with regular stirring a few times a day. At the weekend after removing the necessary water i then replace with this water. This works for me and has done for the last 2 years because:-

i) Tap water doesn't have chloramines so only need to remove chlorine.
    ii) Due to a hot climate, i cannot use tap water the same time i change water because the cold water tap is warm, and quite hot during summer months.

Now to the problem, i have adopted a 4 month old kitten and i'm worried she will drown in the bucket. Aside from putting the bucket in another room, can can i prevent this? I dont want to cover it since i'm trying to gas out the chlorine.

Any suggestions is welcome.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    ... Don't let the kitten near the water?

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to ameliaaahx!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Make a cover for the tub from flyscreen

0 Not allowed!
    Temporary cover~at 4 months it won't be long before she is big enough to know better.

Couldn't you use Prime + some ice bottles in the short term to remove chlorine/cool water enough to use straight from the tap? Ice cools water pretty quickly..
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    ... Don't let the kitten near the water?
    Obviously you have no experience with kittens or cats as such! They are inquisitve creatures and will try anything to get where they wanna go. Remember that from a kitten's eye view, the top of the bucket looks like a flat top so she would be tempted to jump up.

I like the flyscreen idea, but in order for it to work it would need to be strong enough to support the cat's weight should she jump onto it. How about drilling a few holes in the cover of the bucket? Would that lesson the gas exchange?
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    Temporary cover~at 4 months it won't be long before she is big enough to know better.

Couldn't you use Prime + some ice bottles in the short term to remove chlorine/cool water enough to use straight from the tap? Ice cools water pretty quickly..
    I wouldn't want to waste money on dechlorinator when i can just gas it out for a while. I only have a tiny 1 shelf freezer at home and it's always full without ice blocks. My method works, just only now i have to think about the cat.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    we raised our peeps in a huge 55 gallon tub with an extremely curious cat. to solve the problem we covered the tub with a metal screen and a couple of bricks that way when the cat jumped up onto the tub...and he did daily...he could check out the peeps without causing any harm.

0 Not allowed!
    Just as I wrote a month ago, you do not need to store water at all. All you need to do is add chlorine remover. Chlorine remover is hardly a "waste of money" when not using it requires all this extra work. Nearly all of the chlorine removers also remove heavy metals so I can't see how it's ever a waste of money. Storing water, to me, is a waste of time.

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Lady Hobbs response
    Sailor

Aye Aye