· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Some Additional (Fancy) Goldfish Questions...

0 Not allowed!
    Is the HOB filtration I have okay for keeping four (small as of right now, but definitely growing) Fancy Goldies of the Red Cap Oranda, Black (now Gold) Moor and Common Fantail variety in a 60 gallon? I'm running an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, good for some 325 gallons per hour of turnover, plus an AquaClear 110, good for some 500 rated gallons per hour of turnover, which gives me a total of more than 800GPH; I totally understand the theory behind the fact that once media pieces are introduced to HOBs (and canisters I believe too) this "gallon per hour" rating can be reduced somewhat, but I just wanted to know if off the cuff, this filtration is adequate...

I'm also running two 18" bubble bars powered by Top Fin's biggest air pump, the AIR-8000 model, and these bars are SPITTING out the bubbles...so oxygen and Co2 exchange isn't a problem...

Also -- am I at my stocking limit for a 60 gallon with Fancy Goldies? As I stated, right now I have four, two of which are juviniles on the small side and two -- a maturing Red Cap Oranda and a Black Moor -- that are larger than small, but I'd say not quite "medium" sized either. Should I just let these guys mature in this tank without adding any additional fish? I know the Fancies are known to get really big...

I know I had some more questions about these beautiful, often mistreated and misunderstood creatures of the Orient...but I can't recall at this very moment; I'll update the thread as I remember them!

Thank you, everyone!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Filtration is probably fine. Just keep an eye on it for a while.
    Personally I think you're already stressing your maximum with the goldfish.
    Unless you bred them yourself you've no way of knowing if they will stay small for their fancy type, or exceed the average for their fancy type.
    Best to be safe than sorry later. Especially when they get big and messy.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm View Post
    Filtration is probably fine. Just keep an eye on it for a while.
    You mean in terms of ammonia levels, nitrates, etc?

Personally I think you're already stressing your maximum with the goldfish.
    Really? Four in a 60 gallon? Just asking because I am genuinely curious...

Unless you bred them yourself you've no way of knowing if they will stay small for their fancy type, or exceed the average for their fancy type.
    Best to be safe than sorry later. Especially when they get big and messy.
    I see; but will sticking with the four I have now be okay for at least now? Truth be told, the tank actually looks somewhat empty with these four swimming around, they're so immature (as of now)...

Thanks for your reply.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not too worried about ammonia/etc. Just keep an eye out to make sure their biomass is being handled well, which it should be fine at this age. Just as they get older make sure the filters keep up.

Should be fine. Especially since the Orandas should stay smaller than the other two.

And yeah. I understand the growing-fish-syndrome, where the tank just doesn't look nice and full.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

0 Not allowed!
    Four should be the maximum, as Goldfish appear to have one of the highest bio loads of kept fish. The filtration should be adequate, as well as the aeration (good for you on that), but check the filters, and filter media. If with weekly cleaning these filters are FILTHY (i.e. nearly turn the tank rinse water black), you may consider more filtration. You would be astounded at how dirty goldfish can be.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, both! Much appreciated...