Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788 View Post
    I just feel i am wasteing money but in ideal 2 should be more economical,
    No it isn't.

    Two heaters are no more economical, If that were the case then 5 heaters would be even MORE economical.

    It takes the same amount of energy to raise the temp of a given volume of water no matter how many heaters you put on it.

    If you mean the efficiency of the various heaters this is a different thing altogether.
    I know one is fine since it kept my 75 a constant 81 but the new one is a bit off apparently
    If the new one is off it is because you calibrated it that way, If they were calibrated the same they would behave identically.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    No it isn't.

    Two heaters are no more economical, If that were the case then 5 heaters would be even MORE economical.

    It takes the same amount of energy to raise the temp of a given volume of water no matter how many heaters you put on it.

    If you mean the efficiency of the various heaters this is a different thing altogether.

    If the new one is off it is because you calibrated it that way, If they were calibrated the same they would behave identically.
    hey 850R, lets talk ECONOMICAL, so your saying that 2x 300 will not cost any less than 1x running, again my 2x heats up quicker so less time on; though 2x are on it will take it quicker to heat up. so dobule power but quicker heat = cheaper. if that is not the case i will take the 2nd one out as i need another 300w for another tank i am sitting up.

    if that post makes no since it is because my mind is shot over class and working on this house
    Last edited by Angelfish11788; 02-20-2013 at 12:37 AM.


  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    600 watts is 600 watts, whether with 1 600 watt heater or 6 100 watt heaters.

    What you have to look at is if the heater is capable of maintaining the tank temp at the lowest expected ambient room temperature. If 300 watts will keep the tank at the set temperature at whatever the lowest room temp is, thats all you need.

    Another consideration is that with 2 heaters you have twice the opportunity for something to fail. Using 2 heaters is inherently more unreliable than 1 heater.

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    makes since, my ambinant low temp is like 65, that is with heat at 55, If that makes since. when i move i am a hot blooded and the heat wont go past 68. maybe freezing march it may go to 70, I am gettig lids cut tomorrow, but again as i have stated twice, with the euro bracing i am not sure how to do it


  5. #15

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R View Post
    Two heaters are no more economical, If that were the case then 5 heaters would be even MORE economical.

    It takes the same amount of energy to raise the temp of a given volume of water no matter how many heaters you put on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
    600 watts is 600 watts, whether with 1 600 watt heater or 6 100 watt heaters.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788 View Post
    hey 850R, lets talk ECONOMICAL, so your saying that 2x 300 will not cost any less than 1x running, again my 2x heats up quicker so less time on; though 2x are on it will take it quicker to heat up. so dobule power but quicker heat = cheaper. if that is not the case i will take the 2nd one out as i need another 300w for another tank i am sitting up.
    This is exactly as true as saying driving 100mph is more economical than driving 50mph... Which is to say that it isn't.

    Quicker does not equal cheaper, It simply means you are utilizing the amount of energy it takes to heat the tank in a shorter time frame.

    Again: There is an amount of energy required to heat the tank to ?F. It doesn't matter if that energy comes from 11 heaters or one, It's the same amount
    Another consideration is that with 2 heaters you have twice the opportunity for something to fail. Using 2 heaters is inherently more unreliable than 1 heater.
    I disagree here.That's like saying flipping 2 quarters gives you better odds of getting tails more than 50% of the time.. It's not true because each coin has its own set of odds.

    Mathematically, Each heater still has the same '1 in whatever' chance of failing as it does when solo.

    The real world difference is that having two increase the odds that you WILL have a working heater in the tank, If you have a single heater and it malfunctions the chances are exactly ZERO that you will have a working heater in the tank.

    I will repeat what I posted in this thread of yours less than a week ago about this very topic:

    [QUOTE]Scenario 1.
    If one [Heater 'A'] sticks on [And raises the temp of the water] and the other continues to operate properly [Heater 'B']. As soon as the water reaches a temp above what 'B' is set at - it will shut off as it senses no need to heat the water.

    Scenario 2.
    If heater 'A' sticks off and heater 'B' continues to operate properly you still have one heater running to keep the tank at temp until you can replace the useless one.

    In one scenario the extra heater makes no difference & in the other it saves your tank. The second heater is a good idea IMO.[/QUOTE
    I stand by that.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •