· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the pic Cliff. I tried to get mine into the pump chamber but it was a bit tight so I put it into the equipment chamber.

I also recycled one of my old tank lights from the original 55g set up to use as a cabinet light.

I started breaking things down to silicone in the glass for the overflow today. I also started planning the return outlet. This is where it gets a little funky. Had I been the one who drilled the tank I would not have put the return where it is. Now that being said the PO was setting up for saltwater. I am wanting to break the surface with the return so I can drill a hole for a siphon break in the event of a power outage. I did not install check valve but that can easily be added. here is what I was thinking.

Note: This is not a 1:1 representation but rather a visual of how it would fit together

What do you think? I am trying to minimize the impact on the display tank. This puts the horizontal section of the return above the waterline (which is just above the bottom of the plastic trim so I can drill a hole in the bottom of the pipe). I am not sure what else to do short of leaving the outlet to dump out below the overflow some 5" below the waterline and adding a check valve.
    Last edited by mrramsey; 03-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    That last photo - there seems to be one unnecessary turn? Why not have it turn up into the corner, and then across the top edge - do you get what I mean?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is because the bottom of the overflow is there. It is not installed in that photo yet. It is about 4" wide. You can see the bulkhead in the photo lower left. That is where the first 90 would actually be.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh ok. I thought there must be a reason why! In that case, it looks fine to me
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Footnote:

I am thinking at this point when I attach the return nozzle on the inside of the tank to the bulkhead I will just use a dab of aquarium silicone rather than using the pvc cement. This will allow for easy removal should I want to change it up a bit without replacing the entire bulkhead. I do not foresee any issues with this since leakage will not matter.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

6. Default Progress Report

0 Not allowed!
    I stripped all of the plumbing from the temporary setup so that I could install the coast to coast glass. That went very well. I cut some scrap lumber to use for temp bracing while I applied the silicone. If you notice in some of the pics I cut the corners of the wood so as not to get it in the fresh silicone. I also will say that I am glad I purchased the 3oz tubes of silicone instead of the 10.5oz tubes for a caulking gun. The small size made it easy to get into tight spots. I also wet my finger with 91% isopropyl alchohol as this allows you to tool the wet silicone with minimal streaking.

The temp bracing was cut on my mitre saw to obtain perfect 90 degree cuts and was then gently wedged between the bottom and top frames.

fitting it all together

I actually raised it up about 3/8". This put the waterline just about 1/8" above the bottom of the plastic frame ensuring that even with some surface ripples the waterline will not be visible.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cont...

Silicone has been applied

Now we wait until it dries. Tomorrow I will get it back on the stand and begin final assembly of all of the plumbing. I will let things cure up for a day or two before exposing it to water. Right now it looks like Wednesday will be the day to test the system.

I plan to add some plastic plants I have to help identify where the currents are when I am testing. Hopefully I can identify an dead spots and make any minor adjustments so I can eliminate most of the problems before I actually get to the substrate.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am working on the return nozzle for the inside of the tank. I am going to use 3/4" pvc to get it to the surface and then use 3/4" Loc Line on the end.

Mike
    120g Reef Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of doing one of these - Swing-Check-Valves-True-Union-Clear-PVC-Socket-connection and not taking the return all the way to the surface but I am a little concerned that if it has any seepage I would be looking at a flood for sure. I think I will go with my original plan and drill a 2 holes for a siphon break.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I'd go with something you're sure will work. Its looking good....

Hey, now is the time you should be thinking about your hardscape... what you got in mind.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast