· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. Default Calculating Holes in Drip Plate

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Guys -
    I am trying to best figure out how many and what diameter to make the holes in the drip plate. Right now I have appx 40 holes laid out at a 1/8" diameter. That gives me an area of .4908 inches collectively. the area of my 3/4" ID pipe is .44179". Logic tells me that if the numbers are the same the flow rate should also be the same however the smaller diameter holes will also mean there is more friction to slow the flow. Right now there is slightly more area in the drip plate than in the pipe plus there will be some seepage at the edges of the plate.

I am thinking that this will be adequate however I don't want to drill too many right away as I can always come back and add more or make them larger. I want the water to pool about 1/2" or so on top of the plate so as to evenly distribute it over the bio-balls. What do you think?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    THere is a really good drip plate tutorial on Youtube. Uarujoey is the youtuber. I would refrence him.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    THere is a really good drip plate tutorial on Youtube. Uarujoey is the youtuber. I would refrence him.
    I have seen that one only he does not explain other than "drill small holes first and make them bigger if needed". I tried a test and my problem was that there is no vent and the fit is pretty tight so the water was having trouble flowing. I am going to try adding a vent tube and see if it makes a difference. Everything else is fine.

Best I can figure I am getting about 4 gallons per minute through the drip plate. I think I will go to larger holes.
    Last edited by mrramsey; 02-28-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I have tested the flow of my sump and my preliminary tests are indicating appx a 500gph flow through the drip plate which in theory is really close to where I should be. Time to move on to the overflow plumbing.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    How did you test the flow?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    How did you test the flow?
    It was a crude test at best but essentially I measured 2 gallons of water into a bucket and poured it into the inlet chamber of the sump ti simulate the flow from the overflow. I timed the ammount of time it took for the water to flow through the drip plate. It took about 15 seconds to complete.

This roughly calcs out to be 8in gallons per minute and 480 gph. Now as a margin of error i was actually using closer to 2.5 gallons.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the typo's in the previous post. I sent from my phone.

So today I set the 72g on top of the stand to start working on the plumbing. Yay!! Taking my time with it. I have the return line done to the bulkhead. The emergency overflow will be next and I am debating weather I should route it all the way to the intake chamber or just allow it to drop straight down into the equipment chamber since its only purpose is in case the other two fail.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

8. Default Plumbing updates - Pics

0 Not allowed!
    OK- Got going on the plumbing today. Pretty uneventful. Need a couple more 1/2" fittings to finish the bypass line and add some bracing to the drains for stability.

Sump in place and aligned with the tank.

Birdseye view from tank into sump.

Return line installed - note: I added 2 unions here. one below the valve and one at the pump.

Emergency overflow drains straight into the sump and bypases filtration.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

9. Default cont...

0 Not allowed!
    The 2 main siphons have valves to adjust the flow. I added a union above and below the valve.

Here you can see I allowed room to fully disassemble the drains.

Here is the emergency line on the left and the pump on the right. The Tee is for the bypass line.

Drains are finished - The main siphon is in the center and the secondary is on the right.

Here is a view of the sump intake...
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I'm loving this set up, thinking that my future show tank is gonna be like this (either a 120 bow or 72 bow)

I will def be recruiting you help for sump build etc

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast