· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Mike! Absolutely awesome. I am not handy at all. I was proud of my feat of engineering when I replaced the double tap on my eheim pro 2 canister (a simple snap into place) so I'm a long way from what you've done here, but seeing what you built is really inspiring. I would be so proud and fulfilled by that accomplishment. Makes me want to start educating myself and getting my hands dirty with some aquarium related projects.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today I added a piece of egg crate to the top of the coast to coast to prevent anymore fishes from taking a swim in the trough. I am not totally happy with the look yet but we will wait and see how well it works.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Finally caught up!$@ It's been a while since I stopped in and said "hey." Well, hey! It looks awesome, Mike. You should be very proud of having created a masterful aquatic piece of art. The tank, the sump, the stand, the hard scaping, and plant scaping. It all looks wonderful and your fish add to the beauty. The Cardinals look fantastic - especially when the school turns directions. I loved that at the end of the video.

Did you ever find out what kind of rocks those were? They look awesome... and I'm jealous you found them in your backyard. lol My backyard is full of clay/rock... but nothing as nice as those rocks. ;P

Well done, sir. I salute you... and you've inspired me to build a sump for my next tank (probably when my family moves into a bigger home a few years from now).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Kevin, thank you! I have lost a few more cardinals that I expected but all in all I am happy with the way things have turned out. I still am not sure what kind of rock it was exactly but it definitely is some kind on sedimentary rock but not limestone. It was a flat 'slab' about 2" thick. I used a hammer and chisel to break it into the pieces you see in the tank. I did test it prior to using it and it was fine.

So far everything with the sump system is working great. The only thing I might explore is a different nozzle configuration on the return. I would like to diffuse it a bit more to slow it down. So there is more volume of water but less forceful current if that makes sense. I have plenty of horsepower and flow left in the pump.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    You could always add those annoying plastic showerhead pressure regulators that they use in low flow showerheads. Not sure if they make them in the size you would need, but it's an option. Clogging might become a problem later on, though. I bet it would be easy to make one yourself in another DIY project.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hehe already a step ahead of you Kevin - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=111603
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    lol, of course you're already working on one. ;P Awesome.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want this tank.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well it has been a while since I have posted any updates to my journal. Many of you have read about my trials with the cardinals. Well I have only 5 of the original 30 left. I still have no real understanding of why so many were lost other than bad stock. As a test to this I moved 6 of my Zebra Danios into the tank with them and have had no ill effects to the Zebra stock.

Yesterday I tweaked the return nozzle by adding a tee and a couple of 45 degree fittings. This has allowed me to open the return line ball valve 100% for a higher flow rate with less turbulent current in the tank. I also now have opened the primary siphon 100% so the GPH volume is definitely higher.

The fish seem more relaxed and swimming freely in all areas of the tank. I don't know if the higher current played any part in the deaths of the cardinals or not. I hope to add some additional stock this weekend.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Nah Mike, I really think you probably had the same problem that I and Judi have had with our Tetras... Tried everything to save those suckers but I'm finally giving up. My guess and theory, based on trial and error, is bad stock from a possible bad breeder. Easy to blame the breeder? Sure... It's also easy to blame yourself and try everything to save your fish and keep perfect water params. I think this is something we fish keepers really need to be weary of in the future. Report bad breeding to retailers so that we can prevent recurrences of this painfully annoying and potentially costly and tragic experience. Sure, they're only fish... but we expect live fish to stay alive, if we take care to keep them correctly, based on their requirements, right?

I'm sorry you had to deal with the same thing that I have... ever since getting those Tetras, they just kept dying off, one by one.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast