· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Hardy... Still not 100% sure. I am thinking of maybe doing something rocky, but may need to research the inhabitants first so I replicate something that would be most natural to them.

As for the outlet issue I think I will forgo the swing valve and just drill anti-siphon holes. I like the flexibility of the locline but it would put the nozzle way out into the tank (not sure if that really impacts anything).

Opt. 1 LocLine

Opt. 2 All PVC

Thoughts?
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    See to me it would depend on how much of the loc line set up you would see. I think the Option 2 actually looks pretty good, it's fairly low key (especially once painted)

I'm at a toss up, but being option 2 you already have all the materials for I'd go that route for now.

As for hardscape I'd have a few awesome ideas already.. do you have any landscaping places near you (can get cheap large rocks then)

0 Not allowed!
    check this one out...

http://www.guitarfish.org/2008/11/05...tank-hardscape

My likes about it, 1 large stone on one side, with smalls around it, medium on the other side, with a little driftwood to compliment it.

But only thing about the large rocks is that they don't provide any sort of hiding, so if you could pile together a few medium sized rocks, you could leave gaps for fish to hide in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man that is nice looking! It will look awesome once it's grown in.
    Here is the image -

On the outlet nozzle (opt #2) I think it would be ok to leave the last piece (a street 90) not glued in so I have at least some room to make small adjustments.
    Last edited by mrramsey; 03-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I made a flared nozzle for the return line. (Ignore the 90 with the holes in it, it's temporary)

I will try leaving the 90 and flare un-glued to allow for adjustment.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I love thrift solutions... btw you need to send a pic to the guy you bought the tank off of with all the changes lol

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, I did. I sent a link to this forum post
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Might be a dumb question...

but can you give a relatively brief description of the pros/cons of the c2c overflow vs other types of over flows? I like the way it looks, but its fairly large... and when I do my future big tank I may try to replicate what you have here

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok testing day

I am picking up a new hose to fill / drain the tank. I did some initial tests on the overflow and was having an issue getting the primary overflow drain siphon to start without first opening the cap to let some water in. I backed up and re read through the information. I found that my returns into the sump were too far below the water level thus making it difficult to get rid of the trapped air.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Might be a dumb question...

but can you give a relatively brief description of the pros/cons of the c2c overflow vs other types of over flows? I like the way it looks, but its fairly large... and when I do my future big tank I may try to replicate what you have here
    Obviously for me I liked the concept that was already started by the previous owner. From what I have read the big plus is massive amounts of surface skimming. Secondly the system is silent, no splashing or gurgling noises. Then we have the triple redundancy in the drains that prevent flooding of the display tank in the event that 1 or even two of the drains get blocked. An added benefit to any overflow system is the constant water level in the display tank. The system will automatically restart itself in the event of a power outage as well.

2 key things in the design to compensate for, as with any sump, are to accurately calculate the added space in the sump for the overflow to drain if the power does go out. This includes the operating level of the CtoC and the water in the actual drains themselves.

If and when I ever re-do my sump I will definitely go with a 30g, but since this tank came with a perfectly good 20g Long I opted to use it as well. I just need to monitor the water level for evaporation a little more often.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast