· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 29 gallon River Tank

0 Not allowed!
    MTS is now in full effect for me! A article from Practical Fish Keeping brought the hill stream loach to my attention and I've decided to set up a river tank system. I won't be starting the build until the beginning of May when classes end but I'm starting now to ask for advice while planning.

I'll be using a river tank manifold system to have a uni directional flow (http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...ank%20manifold) with two power heads on one end and two intake sponges on the other. I'm aiming for medium to high lighting with java fern along the back out of the main flow then fill out the front end and sides with different crypts leaving the middle of the tank clear to mimic the middle of a stream.

I'll be using a Coral Life fixture with duel high output T5s, two AquaClear 70 power heads, two intake sponges (not sure where to get these) and PVC for the manifold. I'm thinking about adding a canister filter but the tank well be in a carpeted room and I'm worried about flooding issues.

For stocking I'm going to do 15 zebra danios for several months (after fishless cycle of course) then add 5 or 6 hill stream loachs.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    That could be really cool, few tips

1. Angel the two power heads both towards middle of the tank, this should in theory cause a stronger flow in the middle while making the edges light flow
    2. I think a 30 or 40 gallon breeder would be you best tank size for this (they are a wider longer tank, just short) - if you have the room look into one of these
    3. Go to a local stream and start collecting a bunch of rock, I think for the middle of the tank you want almost all larger to medium size rock (anything from golf ball size to baseball all different shapes)
    4. Have a few pieces of wood that look "wedged" in place
    5. Have tank sloped - so water appears to be flowing down hill
    Last edited by Triton; 03-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tips. A 29 is the largest tank that well fit in the space I have. I didn't think about angling the power heads. What are peoples opinion about the flow rate I should be getting 27 gallon turn over rate a hour well this be enough to keep a good flow and keep the water well oxygenated?
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    For tank size then I'd say go 20 Long then... it has same foot print as the 29 gallon, and then you won't need as strong of a light since it will be lower

I'm just trying to picture a shall fast moving stream

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going with the 29 to allow for more zebra danios and a couple more loachs.

Awards Showcase

because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing your tank up and running, I see hill stream loach's offered once in awile but don't know anybody that keeps them.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't wait either unfortunately it probably won't be until at least August at least till I get the loachs.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In the next few days I'll be picking up the power heads. I'll be going with two AquaClear 70s for a total of 800 gph. Has anyone ever used these and had bad experiences with them? On a separate note, where should I go about looking for intake sponges? I've not been able to find them anywhere. Other then that I think I'm going to start the build earlier then planned (just to tempting not to) so look forward to updates in the next month or so!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't go with the Aquaclear 70 powerheads. They are bulky and ugly. I have to suggest using two Hydor Koralia 425's.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They look good (defiantly see the aquaclears being ugly) but it doesn't look like I'd be able to attach them to the manifold for one directional flow. My two biggest criteria are gph and how easy it would be to attach to the manifold I think the AquaClears looked the best at both of those for a reasonable price.