· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need a plant that floats without being overbearing

0 Not allowed!
    can't remember now what grows well floating or planted. I am finding that my Neons are not coming out as much since my apongea (sp) bulbs died off. I had them for temp. plants till my others grew in better. I don't want to dim lights too much but yet have a section of tank that neons will like by shading it a tad bit. So I'm thinking of something I can suction cup to side of tank and allow to grow on top of water but that doesn't take over like duck weed. Any ideas?
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    neon's hide because something in the tank is causing that.

what are your other fish and water parameters?

I've seen plenty of neons in non planted tanks but are out in about.

duckweed is easy, and all you do is scoop it out.
    but without knowing your current lighting, ferts. i dont know what to recommend

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pardon my brain I ment to post that...
    Stock lighting that grows anubius, christmas moss, java ferns with no issue.
    These neons were coming out more with less lighting. Its a 30 gal and the stock has not changed-
    Neons, Black Neons, 3 glofish (waiting for them die because they bug me but seem now to only chase each other) corys, and one gentle short finned male betta that never chases anything. Been this way for over a yr and the neons where coming out untill recently when my lilly-like plants died off. I do know they are down a few in number and I need to add back up to them. I think there is 4-5 left and I had at least 6. That might be an issue too but I know they are said to not like bright lighting. I have to have filter down low because they don't like it strong either. They hide under driftwood so it just started making sense to me that it might be light.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

0 Not allowed!
    I hate duckweed with a passion. Seems like once it gets into your tank, it's a futile effort to remove it all completely. May want to consider frogbit or dwarf water lettuce, both will provide good coverage on the top of the surface and are easy to manage. If you can find red root floaters, they are a very cool plant, like the name suggests it has red roots, can add some color to the tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what about anacharis? I get a lot of algae so something to help keep it down might be best
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

0 Not allowed!
    Anacharis is alright. Could also consider using hornwort, it grows quick and can help suck up excess nutrients to deprive the algae.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found a deal on ebay for anacharis and hornwort with free duck weed. Not sure if I want to grab it becuase of the duck weed though. Almost thinking I'm better grabbing one silk plant to stick on wall for them.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

0 Not allowed!
    What I do when I get new plants is to rinse them and pick off any unwanted snails, algae, duckweed. There is always a chance of something hitchhiking on a plant.

For the source of plants, have you looked any local aquarium clubs? Most hold monthly meetings and auctions. Many clubs have their own forums set up, great way to find out about local stores and others in the hobby. Did a quick search and found this list of clubs in your state http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aq...rium-Clubs.htm

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about Brazilian penny wort?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can recommend water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides). Believe it or not, I actually could not get duckweed to grow in my tanks. Duckweed is very sensitive to water current, and my hang-on-back filters generated too much turbulence for it to get established.

Also, any of the other ones people mentioned would work. It's mostly up to your personal aesthetics, availability of the plant, and cost.