· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Spoiled Oscar?

1. Default Spoiled Oscar?

0 Not allowed!
    My Oscar Buddy used to love the Hitari premium and standard pellets. That is until I started giving him little bits of raw tilapia which I cut in small piece, then freeze and thaw as needed. My turtle love it and so do the guppies in the turtle tank. So, what foods can I feed him? He'll go for the tiny pellets I started him with sometimes, and other times I can sneak a big one in. Also, he just doesn't seem as excited to eat? He has three miniscule white spots on his two front fins. I have treated his tank with several meds-----ick med--pimafix--melafix---salt/heat. Of course these were over a long period of time. Not all at once! Nothing changed except he seemed less energetic and happy. So I wonder what those could be? Anyhow, I would not think it would be good for him to eat raw fish constantly. He also likes the big dried turtle shrimp. Any suggestions about the food or the spots? Thanks a lot!Shirley

0 Not allowed!
    Some fish just have weird kinks or other deformities on their fins that manifest themselves as white spots. If they aren't goingvaway with medications, and aren't spreading to the rest of his body, I would stop worrying about them. What are your water parameters currently? How long ago did you stop your last treatment? What tankmates(if any) ? Does he seem disinterested in eating pellets only or all foods in general?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He quit going for the large pellets after he tasted the fish a couple of times. He will eat sprinkles of small pellets sometimes. I think the spots are just spots, like you said. I just cleaned his tank yesterday--all the plants and ornaments--then soaked them in Prime and let them air dry before I put them back. The only place for him was in front of a window, so the algae builds up. It's gone for now. I scraped the sides and used the magnet cleaner too. The tank is 60 gallon and I wish I could put something with him but everyone says no. I am wondering if I could grow out another fish and then put it in--but what kind? His water is fine--I did a quarter change yesterday. The ph here is on the high side but never over 7.6 or so. There shouldn't be anything in his tank now. The last trial was salt and I've had carbon in for quite a while plus I changed out that part yesterday. He just doesn't seem all "yappy" and crazy to eat every time I walk by like he used to? Wish I could get him a friend that he wouldn't eat. What do you feed your oscar(s)? Buddy is about 5-6 inches long now--Thanks---Shirley
    Last edited by materbona; 02-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds harsh, but one of the common ways a fish is weaned off live and frozen foods is starvation. Just don't feed him for a few days and then offer pellets. Since he has eaten pellets before it should not be as difficult as when weaning wild caught fish onto a prepared diet.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So you use just pellets? Also, is there anything I can put in with him at all that would possibly get along with him? Thanks again---Shirley