· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    If this is what you can find in your area, I would use it. Again sadly I don't know the products available to you. Use the medication as directed on the package, and watch your fish friend closely for signs of stress and for of course improvement.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My guess is that he's biting his own tail. It's fairly common in bettas.

Here's what I would do:
    -stop the medicine. Put fresh carbon in your filter to remove any medication.

-set up a tank for him by himself. Some bettas simply do not like tankmates.

Here's an ideal betta tank:
    -at least 5 gallons
    -heater set to 80*F
    -filter with adjustible flow, turned way down
    -driftwood with smooth edges, mopani wood is great because it leeches tannins and bettas prefer dark water
    -dark substrate
    -low light, live plants. Floating plants will particularly be appreciated

Once he's comfortable in his new home and no longer stressed, the tail biting should stop. Fresh, clean water (i.e. lots of partial water changes) will help the fins heal.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my betta to a 1 gallon bowl for a week and did a 100% water change every day.
    I also added Melafix, a tee tree oil extract to help with the infection. After the week it had stopped and that was almost a year ago. He's healthy and happy now, almost got all of his fins back.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not recommend placing a Betta in a bowl, nor adding melafix nor tea tree. The temperature swings alone would be high risk.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    My guess is that he's biting his own tail. It's fairly common in bettas.

Here's what I would do:
    -stop the medicine. Put fresh carbon in your filter to remove any medication.

-set up a tank for him by himself. Some bettas simply do not like tankmates.

Here's an ideal betta tank:
    -at least 5 gallons
    -heater set to 80*F
    -filter with adjustible flow, turned way down
    -driftwood with smooth edges, mopani wood is great because it leeches tannins and bettas prefer dark water
    -dark substrate
    -low light, live plants. Floating plants will particularly be appreciated

Once he's comfortable in his new home and no longer stressed, the tail biting should stop. Fresh, clean water (i.e. lots of partial water changes) will help the fins heal.
    LOL, sorry but that sounds ridiculous, no there is not a chance mine is doing that. He has been in the hospital tank for around a month now on his own and his tail is just as bad. He was comfortable in the main tank, im sure it was him snagging his tail on the plastic plants.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
    LOL, sorry but that sounds ridiculous, no there is not a chance mine is doing that. He has been in the hospital tank for around a month now on his own and his tail is just as bad. He was comfortable in the main tank, im sure it was him snagging his tail on the plastic plants.
    It is actually quite common in Bettas.

Is the hospital tank cycled?

Is there places for him to hide?

What's the filter flow like?

The most common cause of tail biting is stress, but with some bettas, it simply becomes a habit.

If you don't believe me, do a search on Google or a site dedicated to Betta splendens.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"