· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it is a tall tank, you should also put some bamboo and 5 bamboo shrimp. They are cool, good sized, non aggressive, and you can even get them in blue depending on where you buy.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    If it is a tall tank, you should also put some bamboo and 5 bamboo shrimp. They are cool, good sized, non aggressive, and you can even get them in blue depending on where you buy.
    I have heard that bamboo is actually not fully aquatic, so it will eventually rot in a fish tank. Is that right? or was I misinformed?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your local fish store might sell water bamboo. 2/3 that I can remember sold bamboo. They wouldn't be called bamboo [B]shrimp[B] for nothing xD and if your talking about the already aquatic bamboo( like I am ) it shouldn't rot if it grows in water already.

I would highly recommend these, they probably do the job of 10 shrimp alone combined and I think are around 3 or 4 inches. These also suck crap and remaining food out of the tank, very unique and helpful for keeping a tank clean. Prices I have seen them at are around $7, so I hope you take my advice. I'm having a hard tank with female shrimp atm, but good luck with your tank!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The key word was fully aquatic

I grow bamboo stalks ("lucky bamboo" in my kitchen for fun. but only the bottom third is submersed and the rest grow's in air. like it does in nature...
    if you google how it is grown and what is offered you'll find that the bamboo that is sold isn't meant for aquariums. just like half the other plants chain stores sell.

the shrimp have a technical name Atyopsis moluccensis which in no way relates to the "bamboo". It is found in SE Asia and they can grow bamboo there. hence the name. someone gave it a nickname and it stuck.
    just like a majority of the other fish. A german blue ram for example. It isn't from Germany, nor is it entirely blue.

so unless you get a tall enough bamboo stock to reach out of the water and light it accordingly, it'll die within a few months because you are killing it in the aquarium.

the shrimp however, will be happy with or without it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not to keen on shrimp. They remind me of little bugs and they just creep me out lol

Yesterday when I picked up my $30 40 gallon tank (WOOHOO!) I also bought an Aquaclear 70 filter (also only 3 months old) for $50. I was looking at this exact one the other day for $150 brand new in store lol

Safe to say I am very happy with Gumtree!

The guy's father was there when I picked everything up and he said that he just buys things then gets sick of them right away.

"Fish aren't meant to be in a box, kid. It does things to them"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So have you decided on what you want to get yet? If not, I'm open to give suggestions.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You know what ? I'm just stumped. I have no idea of what I'm going to do for this tank. I have a few idea's but I wouldn't have a clue which one I would go for...

If you have suggestions then please, suggest away! :-)
    "Fish aren't meant to be in a box, kid. It does things to them"

0 Not allowed!
    Lucky "bamboo" is actually Dracaena sanderiana and not bamboo. Marshy plant that at the very least needs the leafs out of the water.

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders and need a mature tank with plenty of flow, chemically clean water and plenty of little critters.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest:

Barb Centeral
    A tiger barb tank (12 Tigers, and 12 Green)
    BN pleco

or

mega community:
    get about 30 neons
    cool pleco
    and a pair of bolivian rams

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great score! Just curious how/where you got it from please? Garage sale, special store sale, internet?