· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Lightbulb 118g SA/CA Cichlid Tank

0 Not allowed!
    So, I am in the process of upgrading my 65g severum tank to a 118g 5-foot by 2-foot South American Biotope (with a few Central American residents).

Current plans are that the tank will be river-themed, decorated with driftwood and large river rocks on a bed of white silica sand. For filtration I will have the internal Juwel filter as well as an additional canister of which I haven't decided. Don't bother suggesting which canister I should buy because the ones you guys use probably won't be available here.

Anyway, help me stock it! Currently the only confirmed residents are:
    - 1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
    - 1-2 Super-red Severums (haven't decided whether to keep one or 2 just yet)

I'm open to any ideas, although keep in mind that I probably won't have access to any really fancy or rare species. This is a rough list of species I'm interested in, and obviously I don't expect to be able to keep all of them in this one tank so don't shoot me yet. I've done as much research as I can but there is a lot of controversy as to what's compatible and whats not, and how many will "fit" safely and comfortably in a 5-foot tank. Species I've been considering are as follows:

- 1x Green Terror -- probably too aggressive?
    - 3x Red Striped Eartheater -- stunning but would a group of these and the EBJD and Sevs put me over my stocking level?
    - 1x Firemouth
    - small group of Sajica Cichlids or other smaller cichlid (suggestions?) OR school of larger characin -- Spotted Metynnis?
    - 2-3x small-ish plecostomuses (L066 or Bristlenoses?) OR oddball catfish?
    - 1x Oscar -- I know this cancels out pretty much everything else on my list but just wondering if it's even an option?

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.
    Last edited by Amelia; 02-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Note that the list is order from what I'm most interested in at the top, going down to less interested at the bottom.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    do you have blue acara in australia?

they are a different color variant of the green terror and have a much nicer temperment when it comes to their tank mates.

but i like where you are going with this.

i think you could fit the ebjd/sev/acara and 2 plecos and then some pending whatever filtration you can find down there.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you already answered most of your own questions :o) The oscar is out. He can't be in a tank with other cichlids. The green terror would be too aggressive. all others on your list would be great. Another suggestion - blood parrots are a lot of fun and just full of color and personality. You could also add an angel with the sevs and the EBJD.

A note on EBJD's - I have one, too. Learned a lot about it after I bought it. Beautiful fish but it seems they are prone to digestive problems and often don't make it past the 4 - 5 inch mark. I've been growing mine out since Sept and so far so good - he's not quite at the 4 inch mark yet so we are not out of the woods. Hope yours is doing well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the posts guys. :) Mizzou, I have seen Blue Acaras occasionally but they don't really do a lot for me. Maybe it's just the stock we have here but they always look plain grey and boring.

Mommie -- haha, I guess I did! I always try to do as much research as I can before I ask questions here. I guess the main thing I'm asking for help on is stocking levels. I've never stocked a cichlid tank before and it's A LOT different than stocking a tank of tetras, etc. There's so many more factors that have to go into it, like have ample space for territories to avoid aggression, and not getting species which may hybridize.

Angels I love but I already have one in my planted community. The BPs are something I've considered but don't think I really want for this tank. Thank you for the info on the EBJD -- I hope my wee fellow is healthy. He's roughly 3", I just got him a few days ago. I just adore his angry little pout, he thinks he's so tough but the severums take no notice of him.

I see you have Geos in your 90g -- may I ask how many and what sp.? I've decided I really like these but I just have no clue about how to stock a cichlid tank. I'm sort of thinking 2 sevs, 1 EBJD and a small group of Geos might be what I'll go for, and maybe a school of large characins as well if they "fit". I'm really clueless as to stocking levels for this tank -- I feel like a beginner again, like when I was stocking my first community and had no idea how many to add!

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    The red sev's with the EBJD and some geos would be nice, you could fit the firemouth in that stock too.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the EBJD is your centerpiece, don't get anymore cichlids. Sajica's can be mean to other fish that are close to its size. The Green Terror is a hit and miss for compatibility, and the same goes for a Firemouth.

The Red striped eartheaters can get to 12", so adding 3 of these would require quite a bit of work to keep your water parameters in check.

I would just add at least 5 Spotted Metynnis.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rocksor. The Sevs are actually my centrepieces, I'm considering taking the EBJD back because it hides whenever anyone enters the lounge. I do an 80% change on my 65g every week. I could get away with much less probably but I feed them more than I should.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since you are thinking about removing the EBJD, and keeping the severums, then the possibility of having an all female or all male sajica group would work. The severums would be large enough and occupy the top half of the aquarium; the sajica would tend to leave them alone.

Sajicas don't hide like EBJD, and are a really nice blue coloring.