· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool 15 Gallon Column Aquarium Stocking - what do you think?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate any help/suggestions you have. I grew up with freshwater aquariums as a kid, although this is my first stab as an adult. I recently purchased an Aqueon 15 gallon column tank and I'm in the process of cycling now. I've got a couple live plants in there to help the cycling.

I've done some research and come up with a rough plan for stocking.....

Was thinking -

1.) Pygmy Corydoras #?
    2.) Neon tetras or some other small schooling fish = #?
    3.) 1 or 2 centerpiece fish (ie German Ram, Gourami, Rainbowfish... etc)
    4.) Maybe some cherry red shrimp, as they have low bioload?

Do you think this would be overstocked (ie do you think I could have enough cory's/tetras that they could school and be happy w/o overloading tank)? Are there any cool, colorful centerpiece fish that would work well in a pair for this tank?

Thanks so much for any advice

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With only 15 gallons its best to stick with a single school of small fish. In general avoid tetras because they like to swim side to side and in a 15 gallon column theres not enough room for them to swim. I've seen a few tanks of that size with fancy guppies that look cool. What ever you choice make sure they are small and swim more up and down and not side to side.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    15 gallon isn't much and a column shape means you're greatly reducing the floor surface. I think it's not at all suited for corydoras of any kind. Even for neons it's stretching things considerably. PErhaps a pair of dwarf gourami would work, not the best swimmers. Endlers or guppies are another possible choice.

15 gallon column with some moss encrusted sticks in it would make a nice shrimp or crayfish tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the dwarf gourami's should not go in a tank that size. not even one. let alone a pair.
    i had one in my tank that is 3ft long and he was the most active swimmer, more so than my tetras...so gotta nix that option.

i would go a betta and cherry shrimp, plant it and enjoy.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Mizzoutank. I'd be very wary of a pair of dw gouramis together. they might work for a while but soon they will be badgering and picking at each other - not a good situation.

You could have a gorgeous betta and some active shrimp and add a couple apple snails for color and help with cleaning + they are very interesting to watch.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO I think 1 dwarf gourami is fine in a tank that size, but not 2. I had 1 for a year in my ten gallon, and he was a perfect character fish: colorful, swam wherever he pleased, never had any stress problems. It was my fault he died; I put him in my 30 gallon with a blue gourami that harassed him to no end. I like the shrimp idea, and if a dwarf gourami doesn't eat shrimp (i don't know) then I would add one of those. Just my 2 cents
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    IMO I think 1 dwarf gourami is fine in a tank that size, but not 2. I had 1 for a year in my ten gallon, and he was a perfect character fish: colorful, swam wherever he pleased, never had any stress problems. It was my fault he died; I put him in my 30 gallon with a blue gourami that harassed him to no end. I like the shrimp idea, and if a dwarf gourami doesn't eat shrimp (i don't know) then I would add one of those. Just my 2 cents
    Thanks all for your thoughts! If I were to eschew the schooling fish and just go for something like a gourami, etc, and the shrimp, are there any fish of that size/cool coloration that go well in pairs? Or any fish of that ilk that would work well together (ie 1 gourami/1 rainbowfish)?
    Last edited by ukywildcat; 02-17-2013 at 05:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to consider micro rasbora. Much smaller than neons generally, so you could keep a nice school. They will go with cherry shrimp. After that you'll be at your stocking limit in my opinion. I think 15 gallons is a bit small, even for neons (and certainly too small for gourami or rams).

Do keep a few plants and moss (essential for shrimp) and keep to a tight schedule of partial but regular water changes. It will keep water parameters stable and avoid any swings when doing irregular, larger changes.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to consider micro rasbora. Much smaller than neons generally, so you could keep a nice school. They will go with cherry shrimp. After that you'll be at your stocking limit in my opinion. I think 15 gallons is a bit small, even for neons (and certainly too small for gourami or rams).

Do keep a few plants and moss (essential for shrimp) and keep to a tight schedule of partial but regular water changes. It will keep water parameters stable and avoid any swings when doing irregular, larger changes.

EDIT: Didn't mean to post that twice sorry!
    Last edited by ~firefly~; 02-17-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No rainbowfish because they need a school and a 55 gallon tank minimum. I think for the healthiest tank you should just keep the one centerpiece fish, like a betta or dwarf gourami, with a shrimp colony. I think you'll find those fish to be entertaining enough on their own.
    +1 to firefly, I hadn't thought of a nano fish tank.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here