· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't for the life of me keep plecos alive in my tanks. I haven't had an issue with any other fish, but every single plec I've purchased has died within days. Something about my water simply doesn't agree with them.

If your water levels are good, I would recommend upping your corydora numbers (they do better in groups of six or more) and getting rid of the glofish (too active for your tank). For the algae, do you have a planted tank? if you find the right balance between light, CO2 and nutrients, it won't be a problem.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am afraid to add more cories as I I don't want to over load...
    Tank is planted but not all fancy. I'm not brave enough to do CO2 and the only ferts I've gotten so far was LeafZone and I use it very sparingly on occasion that I see the need or feel like it. I don't even does that at fullest dosing . I plan on getting rid of glos, although the 3 I have left get along and just bug each other. Basically I am waiting on them dying. Which two of them are getting old (apparent by the slow drop of their backs) If I get down to one I'll give it to mom since she still has a few left but 3 would overload her.
    My plants are Java Ferns, Christmas Moss and anubius... maybe something else in there because two of them do not look like Javas but I forgot what I tried ... I killed Wisteria I know. lol I do have a marimo ball stretched out over my driftwood. That driftwood with the anubius hanging over it gives just enough room for my cories to hide in... but I have it weighted down with rocks that ended up staying because I liked the look so I doubt I'd have space for that many cories to have a spot.
    On the plus side: I was double checking temps late last night after turning light out due to crazy ups and downs in house... so I ended up turning on a light to see temps. Suddenly my oto flies around the tank- you could actually hear it plinking on glass! Poor thing, didn't mean to scare the crap out of it. But then to my surprise... 3 more went flying around. Once they stopped I counted 4 which is what I thought I had. Mom had bought me 5 a few months back and one died within days. 4 out of 5 surviving I felt was good because otos can be very hard to keep alive. I though that again due to my lack of maintenance that I had lost all only to recently find one alive after losing the bristle. So you can imagine how shocked I was to see all 4 last night! I must have done something right and my water must be fairly good if they lived!
    To be safe I picked up some Prime today just in case I miss a WC. Petsmart did say that my water was good when I took it in.Decided against adding any new fish as the tetras were not on sale and I got a bit gun shy since my niece just bought some (in Wy) and got ick so yeah... Though I found out they got some beautiful and very tempting bloodfins. They had Cherry barbs on sale I thought about but I looked and couldn't see any in the tank. Otherwise I would have had some of them-- $1 a piece! lol Probably good they were out. :-)
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

A common cause of losing bristlenose is that they stop eating in transit. Cutting an anubias rhyzome can release some juices which are big trouble to shrimp, don't know if ancistrus are sensitive to it as well.
    Thats a great idea! I never thought of that- I'll remember that when I do get another one as my anubias always needs trimming.
    As for pregnancy being stressful- you have no idea. I still have to make decisions from day to day though- pg is no longer a disability .. just makes you forgetful and moody. :-) This one has been hard due to infections and things plus I have two toddlers to deal with. Life doesn't stop- just have to figure out best way to rearrange it. Its almost over - 16 wks left!
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What lighting do you have?

Plecos are super messy and if you don't add one, plus get rid of the glofish, you'll have plenty of room to up your corydora stock.

If you don't mind little white dots all over your tank, nerite snails make excellent algae eaters and take up very little bioload.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrylovin4evr View Post
    Thats a great idea! I never thought of that- I'll remember that when I do get another one as my anubias always needs trimming.
    As for pregnancy being stressful- you have no idea. I still have to make decisions from day to day though- pg is no longer a disability .. just makes you forgetful and moody. :-) This one has been hard due to infections and things plus I have two toddlers to deal with. Life doesn't stop- just have to figure out best way to rearrange it. Its almost over - 16 wks left!
    I have some second hand idea, I'm a father of two. Came pretty close to losing my wife and my son on the second one.

All I'm saying, you got enough on your hands, it might be an idea to do just maintenance, that aquarium will still be there in the second half of this year.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    If your water levels are good, I would recommend upping your corydora numbers (they do better in groups of six or more) and getting rid of the glofish (too active for your tank).
    That's the issue - we don't know what the OP's water parameters are because of lack of testing materials - for that reason, adding more fish at this point (especially bottom feeders) aint a great idea.

For now, all we can recommend is to make water changes as easy as possible for yourself unless you are able to get DH to help you out.

BTW it's not the best thing to rely upon Petsmart to tell you how good your water is because you could bring in tap water and they'll tell you your parameters are fine. The one nearest me said that anything up to 1.0 ammonia is fine - no way Jose! However, if that's all you have at this point, then ask for exact readings the next time so you know if your water changes have been doing the job.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No More SNAILS! Tried mystery snails and I can't keep them alive because of lack of calcium. If my oto's survived then something must be right in there.
    Stock lighting btw I forgot what it is but it works on my plants
    I do not plan to add anything right now.
    I hate to say it but people really don't read around here.
    MY MOTHER bought the bristle. I did not. It was a birthday present.
    I have tested water before to have it perfect even with a missed change because of my plants. I was not asking WHY the bristle died.
    I asked if he was ok with a betta so that IF I ever get another one I know it wasn't the betta or anything else.
    So to those who actually read and helped, Thank you. Those that keep skipping and condemning me for not having water testers RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT - Bug off... with all respect. Seriously? Are we all a bunch of lonely adults that Have NO OTHER responsibilities but can just buy 100's of tanks, test kits, and everything else? I have ONE tank. ONE. I take care of my animals but MY CHILDREN COME FIRST. This time around for baby I am doing drop in bottles so I'm stocking on them, diapers, new clothes because I've never had a summer baby, and my oldest is going to school this fall and needs new clothes. We get by but its not always easy. With me being sick and stressed it's REALLY not easy. So to be honest I am tired of having to defend myself on here just because I didn't test my water. Fish DIE ALL THE TIME... its not always something we did.. it sometimes just happens. The Bristle lived 3 days to my knowledge-- stress from store? Didn't eat? Was old? was sick? Who knows for sure? I am not tried to be rude here but seriously people need to get a grip on what's more important. I'm not making excuses for not doing tank when I should have. Or not having a test kit when I just had Christmas and 3 birthdays to deal with along with being in pain 24/7.
    So again, thanks to those who are understanding and truely helping. My algae isn't oh so bad and I did do a black out for a few days and that helped me get front cleaned. I leave back and sides for otos.
    BTW- I managed to get a test kit. Ammonia - 0 nitrite- 0 nitrate under 5
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater