· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Bristlenose and Betta

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 30 gal that gets over run with algae quite often and its mostly my fault that I leave lights on while I'm awake so its on too long. I'm terrible at getting it off because frankly I like being able to see my fish. lol So my mom was having issues with hers and was told to grab a bristle. She loves it!
    So she grabbed me one and these are supposed to be dwarfs.. I think they mean Ancistrus temminckii. ANyway on this one site that ccalculates how many fish to a tank you can get away with, it noted that they can't be with Bettas. I have a docile 'male' betta (not really sure... walmart said male, and its either a short finned male or indeed a female with lots of color. :-)
    I never saw any fights but bristle didn't live more then a week. I know it didn't starve. Now my guess is that due to a missed wc I probably caused its death because my other fish are used to me missing one while pregnant and not able to lift much. But I'm just wanting to be certain that I didn't lose him due to betta. Has anyone heard of them not mixing?
    Can't see why really because Bettas don't fight over the bottom. Now I do have Cories... but they seemed happy that this guy was in there. I planned on picking up more to buddy with but if they aren't going to survive then I can't see wasting $8 a piece on a non compatible fish.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the algae issue can be fixed easy.
    go to any walmart and buy a timer for 10bucks.

that website you refer to is mediocre at best. it gives you a very very rough idea and is no way reliable.

post your current stock and filtration and parameters and we'll be able to help.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never seen a timer for $10. my walmart sucks

AC 200 (50 gal) two air stone toys as well
    1 Betta
    6 Neons
    6 Black Neons (note both tetra are currently only at 4 but I will be increasing these soon possible up to 8)
    3 glofish
    2 peppered cory

Black plant sand over play sand. Planted tank. Lighting is stock so I'm suprised at how well my plants do. I have anubius, christmas moss, amazon sworrds and maybe something else in there.
    Not certain about parameters as ran out of tests for now. Tis why I'm assumning the bristle had an issue with water quality. I didn't take him back to store because mom bought him and I didn't find him for a few days till he floated to top. I have a lot of plants and drift wood
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about the bristlenose. they are great fish
    I agree with Missoutank Without knowing water perimeters there's no way to know what happened. If you don't have an API liquid water test kit, you really should get one. I can't imagine keeping my tanks without it. When something seems wrong or goes wrong the first thing I do is check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

If you had an ammonia spike or if you nitrates are high, it could have killed it since toxins tend to settle near the bottom.

Once you have your water perimeters get back to us. In the meantime, I'd do a large water change just in case you do have a nitrate or ammonia problem so your other fish don't also become ill.

How long has your tank been cycled, btw?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I know. That's why I could only asumn. Lets put it this way, I'm pregnant with third child and husband doesn't bank a million. :-) Sometimes you buy what you really need more then test kits. They have food and clorine killers. When you run out of tests you hope for the best.

Tank is 3 yrs old - most of those fish in there have been in for those 3 yrs or slightly less. My guess was as said above... newbies to tank not used to things and bottom feeders effected first.
    I had not gotten to a water change before I put him in as my mom suprised me with it for birthday... and again I am not supposed to lift buckets of water but I did a large change today after a slight change the other day.
    So aside from my mistake that I admit to -- do they get along with Bettas? or cories?
    To be honest I'm 24 wks pg and been getting contractions... not a fun or healthy pregnancy so my fish and other pets have suffered when husband is at work. Can't wait till June!

On the plus side I had 3 oto's we tried to introduce a few months back. I thought I lost all of them for same reason (I got hospitalised in Nov so tank again went undone) .... but while cleaning the tank one of the otos scurried around and seems to be thriving... last of the 3 of course. But I did something right!
    Last edited by Countrylovin4evr; 02-17-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If that is the case for your situation, then I would hold off on new fish until you can get extra help with the tank.

without any way to test the water, you have the potential to kill every new fish you add. especially without a QT set up.

pleco's get along fine with near every fish.

betta's attitudes vary so much that they don't succeed in community tanks.
    one fish can be best buds with the other fish, another will shred everything in its path.

Edit: about the timer-go online and buy a timer then. every time I have bought was 10bucks, at walmart and home depot.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 02-17-2013 at 12:26 AM.