· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default slimy sludge algae?

0 Not allowed!
    I have this crap growing all over my tank, but only on my plants and my driftwood. Not on the glass, not on any of my equipment. It is especially bad on a few of my plants, my frill and my cabomba. It is slimy and brown. I have a 29 gallon, with numerous plants in it, frill, cabomba, ludwigia, a few fish, 3 cardinal tetras, 4 julii cories, and a single red crystal shrimp. I am running a API Rena XP3 with the two sponges, a full bag of carbon, a bag of Fluval Clearmax (for nitrate removal), and Rena Biochem Stars. I have one 54 watt t5 plant bulb over the tank that runs 8 hours a day. I do an 8 gallon water change every week, with gravel vacuuming.

Can someone tell me what it is? And maybe what I am doing wrong, to correct the problem?

I will try to post a photograph of it.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    slimy and the habit of growing on plants sound like cyanobacteria(blue green algae) while brown would suggest diatoms. try looking up pictures of both types to compare.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nah its not Diatoms, I've seen those before. this looks like a cyano algae, but its brown.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it floats around like a slimy mess, but it stays together, unlike diatoms.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    we'll need some pictures to help.
    there are too many varieties of algae to guess which you have.

but one thing that is consistent between all solutions of algae is bigger water changes.
    you are doing less than 10% a week, and probably have high nitrates.

what plants do you have?
    are you dosing any ferts?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If its blue green algae, with is not actually an algae, your gonna have a rough time of it because it remains alive in the water column and invisible. The only was i got rid of it was to tear down the tank and soak everything that isn't porus in bleach, then i soaked in tap water for three days, then let it air, then soaked in tank water, this is extreme but it got the job done. Good luck hope you don't have it.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    less than 10 %? its closer to 30% actually, its 8 gallons a week on a 30 gallon tank. My plants are frill, cabomba, ludwigia, and two swords, a melon and a marble. I use ferts, (API Leaf Zone) but maybe a half dose, every week or two.