· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a school of rummy nose tetras that I love. They do add color, and they tend to be tight schoolers, so they are quite visually appealing. They also act as good indicators for the tank - as soon as they are stressed or something's not right, they will lose the color from their nose. Mine lose their color whenever I do a water change (the siphon freaks them out), but 15 minutes later they are back to normal.

Rummies tend to occupy the bottom half of the tank, so keep that in mind for your stocking. If the bottom is already quite full with your other fish (I'm not sure where the other tetras hang out) and lots of decorations, it might get a little crowded.

In my experience I wouldn't say that any one species of fish tends to "come" with ick. Some are more prone to getting it when they are stressed than others, but the ick is either present in the tanks they came from or it's not.

I know it's a pain, but I really really recommend a quarantine tank. It's always exciting to bring home new fish and you want to see them in the tank as soon as possible, but it's not worth the hassle of introducing diseases and parasites into your established tank. Always assume a new fish is going to be infected with something (or at least has the potential to introduce something bad into your tank).

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cascades comments about Rummey noses. Once acclimated they are a great community fish as cascade pointed out. I've kept them several times and currently have 20 in my 75 gal.

Aso good points about Ick (by the way they are not any more susceptible to it than any other healthy fish) and QT tanks.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I called Petsmart and they said they don't seem to sell them anymore- haven't in at least 3 months. shoot. They do have bloodfins though and I've done my research on them a bit too.
    I didn't think any fish was more prone to disease then another but what I've read all say they tend to get ick more because they stress too easy. Might do better with bloodfins that have more toughness.

Anyway, though my husband thinks I am, I'm not stupid. :-) I know a hospital/quarenteen tank is a great idea. I have the 10 gal for it but not a filter for it yet. It used to house a hermit crab and I finally got it cleaned last summer. just haven't picked up a filter for it. I just made mom a deal though. She doesn't like her AC for 10 gal so I said I'd buy her a whisper (she loves them) and trade for the AC that acts up a bit... mostly cause she doesn't set it right. So when I can get her a whisper to replace I can easily set up the AC for 10 gal because I run an AC 200 in 30 gal. So that's easy to keep a sponge ready to go.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I like Bloodfins and they are one of the most hardy of characins (as you pointed out) and can even be kept at lower tempatures.

They are one of the tighter schooling fish you were looking for also.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what they have in stock look good too. But I'll probably be holding off for a bit on getting any. I like to plan ahead. I think my husband would like them. I also checked into Cherry Barbs, they were on sale but out of stock. Probably a good thing. I don't know much about barbs cept for the tigers I used to own. I know they can't be with Bettas but I read that cherry's were ok.
    Define busy ~
    29 gal freashwater
    10 gal empty ~ someday Betta
    4 cats, 1 dog and 2 kids. (2yr-4yrs) Potty Training and one on the way

0 Not allowed!
    Cherry barbs are fine. They're colorful, peaceful, and active. It's a lot of fun watching the males displaying for the females and everybody else in the tank as well. They mix with tetra of their own size well. They are NOT fin nippers or overly aggressive as Tiger barbs can be.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Cherry barbs are fine. They're colorful, peaceful, and active. It's a lot of fun watching the males displaying for the females and everybody else in the tank as well. They mix with tetra of their own size well. They are NOT fin nippers or overly aggressive as Tiger barbs can be.
    +1 to Taurus's comments on Cherry Barbs. Check out firefly's tank in the Aquarium journal threads. She has done a great job with her Cherry barb tank.
    -Vince Lombardi