· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Wink Quick advice needed.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't blame anyone who thinks I have aquarium ADD this month. I have come up with some new plan every week!

My plans have taken a major change though. Just when I thought my mean ol hubby would never come around on the idea of me getting a big tank, he did. For valentines day he surprised me by telling me he wanted to use our tax return to get me my big community tank that I've been wanting. I just need advice about a used setup that I am thinking of buying.
    It's a tank that is 48" x 24" x 18" inches. So aqadvisor says 90 gallons?
    It comes with 2 Fluval 405 filters and a magnum 350 canister filter, also a coralife light fixture, heaters, stand, full hood, two power heads and a cleaning kit.
    It has been used for a saltwater tank for the last year. He is asking $350. I have watched the classifieds very closely for the last several months and 55 gallon tanks with hob filters and no hoods regularly go for about $200 in my area. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Am I likely to have any problems using equipment that was previously used for saltwater on a freshwater tank?
    Thanks guys!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Price wise that equipment sounds like a good deal. Have you seen the tank in person?
    Cleaning a tank and the filters can be done if the equipment hasn't been really ignored. Going from a saltwater set-up to a freshwater setup will just take a little more cleaning and flushing if the tank/filters aren't to scaled up. Make sure you see it before buying it.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You might have to replace the filter media if it wasnt cleaned out well before they put everything away. That would add a bit to the price. Assuming it all works well it is probably a good price. Also you likely have to buy new bulbs as you wouldnt really want the same ones as a saltwater tank. I dont remember if you said it had a stand or not. But if you have a petsmart nearby you can probably get a tank,stand, cheap light setup for about 225-260 new.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I am going to go see the tank tomorrow so I can ask to see the canisters running and check the tank for scratches and stand for water damage.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    I wondered about the bulbs LadyGodiva, that's definitely something to think about. Everything seems so expensive here. Petsmart quoted me $375 for a 75 setup with tank, stand and light. No filters at all.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    Crunchy, that'd be about the cost for me in VA, as well (at Petsmart). In fact, I bought my 75gal new at PS for $200. They have a deal going on right now, though, for I think $170 or something. I'll have to check tomorrow. I've been mulling that over for a bit, weighing my options. A 90gal would probably cost you about $250+ new. Maybe you should counteroffer? See if you can get it for $300 (knock off $50 for labor for cleaning/conversion to freshwater - unless you want saltwater, that is).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    I actually talked him down from $400 he he I don't think he'll go lower, but if I go look at it tomorrow and it is really dirty with a lot of hard water stains or something I might try and talk him down more. I am nervous about buying used but I know new just won't be in my budget.
    I kind of got the impression from the last text he sent me that he has been storing it in his uncle's business since he upgraded to a larger tank. That made me a little nervous that it wont be possible to see it with water in it and filters running.
    I guess I'll just assess the situation when I get there and use my best judgement.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went out and looked at the tank today. This guy has had it stored in his uncle's garage for a few months. He advertised it with two Fluval 405s and the Magnum canister. When I went to see it there was only one Fluval. I opened the top of the filter and saw the impeller cover was cracked. It does have a 24 inch dual lamp t5 coralife light strip and a 24 inch t8 light strip. There is a little scratching on the back glass from gravel that was piled up against the back side. I am mostly interested in the t5 lights and the filters so I told the guy that, given the damage on the tank, I will give him $300 for the whole setup, but only if he finds the other filters.
    ~Manna