· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default LionHead Goldfish help

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I am a newbee, i have just stumbled on this forum and it looks a really good place to find help.

I have a 300 liter Aqua One Tank which previously had comets in it, but now i have 1 single NEW 4 inch LionHead Goldfish all on it's lonesome until my next pay day LOL

1 How fast do they grow and what length can expect in a 300 liter tank

2 How many Lionhead's is kind and healthy to keep in a 300 liter tank
    (Is 1 Lionhead per 20 gallon about right without over-sized ornament's taking up the space) ?

3 Is decent Flake food and occasional frozen brine shrimp a good diet?

4 THE BIG QUESTION! How much water should i be replacing weekly when i Gravel Vac ????

I hope i am not being cheeky asking all these question's LOL

Cheers

Gem

0 Not allowed!
    1. Congratulations for keeping goldfish in a proper size tank. Many people who show up here for help with goldfish have them in bowls or 20 or 40 liter tanks. Who knew that the largest breeds of goldfish will easily exceed a foot in length. Lion heads aren't that big and with proper care, I'd say they would be able to grow to 6-7 inches in that tank.

2. Goldfish are social although they don't need large schools to be happy. With a good maintenance schedule you could fit in 3 more, possibly 4.

3. Yes. However, some people report problems with their fancy goldfish swallowing air at the surface and acquiring swim bladder issues so sinking pellets might be safer.

4. Goldfish are, for their length, heavy bodied fish and produce lots of waste. Alongside having a filter rated for twice the size of your tank you should change out as a rule of thumb at least 50% of the water per week. If you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, good. If not , it is recommended to get one. With the test kit you can more accurately determine when to change your water, which is whenever nitrates approach 20 ppm.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    1. Congratulations for keeping goldfish in a proper size tank. Many people who show up here for help with goldfish have them in bowls or 20 or 40 liter tanks. Who knew that the largest breeds of goldfish will easily exceed a foot in length. Lion heads aren't that big and with proper care, I'd say they would be able to grow to 6-7 inches in that tank.

2. Goldfish are social although they don't need large schools to be happy. With a good maintenance schedule you could fit in 3 more, possibly 4.

3. Yes. However, some people report problems with their fancy goldfish swallowing air at the surface and acquiring swim bladder issues so sinking pellets might be safer.

4. Goldfish are, for their length, heavy bodied fish and produce lots of waste. Alongside having a filter rated for twice the size of your tank you should change out as a rule of thumb at least 50% of the water per week. If you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, good. If not , it is recommended to get one. With the test kit you can more accurately determine when to change your water, which is whenever nitrates approach 20 ppm.

Heya, thank's for your reply!

I've also read some people overstocking in crazy small tanks, but i was surprised you recommended at least 50% of the water should be changed weekly, Yikes that would mean 7 half water containers.

Previously i only ever changed 100 litres a week and i am running a 2000 LPH external filter system, although i don't thing they ever really reach the 2000 LPH in reality.

I will do just as you recommend with the water though for sure.

I have noticed my new Lionhead does go to the surface quite a lot for a gob full of air, but i am using flakes that sink very fast.

This might sounds really norty of me and i think some on here will call me stupid or mean to my fish but i gave up water testing kits because they stressed me out like crazy with worry, i always thought my fish were doing well over the years so never bothered after the 6 month of getting my tank which was 4 years ago with NO DEATH's in my tank YAY !!!

I will be buying 1 more LionHead and 1 RedCap Oranda, hopefully i will be getting this tank soon which look nice http://www.aqua-techuk.co.uk/content...ium-click-view

Thanks so much for your info

Gemma x

0 Not allowed!
    Changing one third of the water could have worked well in the past since you have a single, not fully grown fish. However, once you get more fish and they grow to full size you will definitely have to change more.

I don't test all parameters on my tanks on a weekly basis either, but since you seem worried about the large amounts of water, a test kit can show you whether the rule of thumb applies and whether you really will have to change that much water. I also don't quite understand why worry would make you not test the water. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away. If I were worried that something might be off with my water quality I would test it to see what the problem really is and then correct the problem instead.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gemma View Post
    I've also read some people overstocking in crazy small tanks, but i was surprised you recommended at least 50% of the water should be changed weekly, Yikes that would mean 7 half water containers.
    Might I suggest a water changing system to ease the hardship? Python and Aqueon both make one, that are equally sufficient. It'll make your water changes much easier/faster. It's a siphon that hooks up to your sink/shower faucet which, when the water is turned on, creates suction. Take a look: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Awater+changer

Previously i only ever changed 100 litres a week and i am running a 2000 LPH external filter system, although i don't thing they ever really reach the 2000 LPH in reality.
    You're correct. The 2000LPH rating is tested without filter media in the filter baskets. In reality, you're probably getting half that, when your filter is full of media, which is why many will suggest doubling up on filtration. Since you have a 300L tank, you'll probably be ok, but it's something to remember for the future. =]

I have noticed my new Lionhead does go to the surface quite a lot for a gob full of air, but i am using flakes that sink very fast.
    A trick that I've learned while being here is to prevent this from happening, you can take a pinch of flakes and either release them or rub your fingers under the surface of the water. Goldfish are susceptible to swim bladder disease. So be careful of how you feed them.

This might sounds really norty of me and i think some on here will call me stupid or mean to my fish but i gave up water testing kits because they stressed me out like crazy with worry, i always thought my fish were doing well over the years so never bothered after the 6 month of getting my tank which was 4 years ago with NO DEATH's in my tank YAY !!!
    As mentioned, you don't need to test your tank weekly. Hell, you don't have to test it monthly (but once per month is probably a good idea). If you know the params of your tap water and your tank, and you've become acquainted with what's needed to keep your tank healthy, ideally you should be able to keep your tank in functioning, happy, healthy order without doing tests. Tests, however, do help us find the cause of some sicknesses. So it's good to have them on hand.

Welcome to AC. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone thanks for the advice, your all a big help, i must appologize for my late reply as i have been away.

Anyway my Lionhead's started to kick off with one of them bullying the hell out of the other one but after some advice with regards to covering the tank while they got to know each other and sort out their issues it's all calmed down and they are besty mate's.

Thanks for the info on water changes and how many lionhead's i could have in my 330 liter tank, however they are growing super fast and are now a good 5 " long and fat as hell.

I have added a pic to my album but i cant seem to put a pic on my profile, ANYONE! got any advice for me >>?

Well the water change went well last saturday and i did a full 50% water change, and had an idea of fastening a garden hose to the spray bar outlet and throwing the other end in the Toilete YAY!

That certainly saved some time and i only had to use the gravel Vac for 50litres to move all the fish waste from the bottom of the tank.

I really cant see my having any more than 2 lionheads in this tank given their current growth rate and that all my previous fish were super fast growers i want to play it safe.

I must say the lionhead's are so cute and they are the 1st fish i have ever given names! Billie Bob and Granpa are loving their new world LOL.

I will be buying a dredded water test kit this weekend but me being a worry'er with Bi-polar they really do my head in !!

Anyway food time for the chubby beggers i better go!!!!

Thanks again all x