· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Serious algae overgrowth!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I am scraping my tank every other day! Thick green algae seems to cover it so fast; I can barely keep up with it. I'm also getting brown algae on some of my plants, though it seems to affect older growth; I've been pruning the old away, and it seems to keep the brown at bay. All of my tests on the water are okay, except that I have fairly hard water (but my barbs like it that way!). I have a 6700K light (65W), which I keep on about 8 hours a day. I would make that less, but I work nights and sleep during the day; I turn the light on when I go to bed and turn it off when I awaken. I've heard that more plants would help. I have a 29 gallon "tall" tank, and I'm using a 30 gallon filter with an extension on the intake. Should I use a bigger filter? Any help would be fantastic.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest trying a lot of extra and large water changes to lower the nitrates and/or phosphates in the water to try to get ahead of the algae

Are you also using plant ferts ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cliff; your nitrates and very likely, phosphates are very high. Make large water changes and stir as much of the substrate as possible while doing the water change (if the water gets cloudy, that means a lot of organic waste is in the substrate and that is where the problem lies.) Your filter is very under rated if it says 30 gal and the tank is 29 gal. Filters need to be at least twice the size compared to what the mfg says; they overrate their filers by ... yes; you guessed it: a factor of two.

Measure the nitrates and check to be sure your ammonia/nitrites are zero.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-15-2013 at 10:16 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with all of the above - unless you're already doing this, I make it a point of sticking my siphon deep into the substrate and hold it there for a few seconds to watch all the gunk travel up the tubing. A large water change is like 50-75% (in case you didn't know).

And you do need more filtration - a 2nd filter would do you good rated for at least 30gal or a filter rated for at least 60gal if you choose to upgrade.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Nitrates are at 20ppm--which is higher than I've had them for a bit. Nitrites are at zero/ammonia at zero too. Just changed my fertilizer to the tabs you put in the substrate...I've only been using iron so far. I will make a trip to my local fish store to pick up a larger filter. I thought it was kind of dinky for the tank size...now I know for sure. I'll stir it around a good bit this afternoon and do a big water change. Thanks again for your help. I'll post again in a few days and let you know how it all turns out.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you have Green Dust Algae if its a green crud on the tank sides. About the only thing that people say works is to let it do its thing and not scrape it for 3 - 4 weeks. Let it burn itself out. Supposedly it goes through a juvenile motile stage and wiping it down just spreads it everywhere. You have to wait for it to mature and go through its life cycle before cleaning it off. It can get pretty gross while waiting for that to happen. At least thats the current theory.

For me, I found that a bunch of Otos took care of my battle with it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Just remember - if your nitrates are high (yours are not terrible) then you can be certain that the phosphates are very high (often stored in the substrate.) Somewhat high nitrates and very high phosphates will cause algae to grow like crazy. In the wild, phosphates are rarely above 0.01 ppm; in the average tank, they are easily 1 - 5 ppm; even with plants. Except for an algae scrubber or very deep and complete substrate stirring (or better still, no substarte), phosphates are a fact of life. In which case, keeping the nitrates ultra low works best (under 5 ppm. With plants, don't let them go under 2-3 ppm, however.)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone...I got the bigger filter and it's better, but there's still a lot of algae. I also got a kit to test for phosphates, and they're so high that they don't even relate to the chart. I live in farm country, so there are a lot of phosphates in the water. I would like to know what you all think of those phosphate sponges. Do they work? Is there another way to lower phosphates?

0 Not allowed!
    They work but you'd have to renew them every 6-8 weeks or so. What's the levels on your tap water?

Funny really, I'm now dealing with green spot on the front window by adding some phosphates,.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    For phosphates in both the tank AND tap water there is only ONE course of action - an algae scrubber. Sponges cost $$$ and always are a pain to test to see if they are failing (used up; those phosphate test kits are $$$ too!) The type, and style of the scrubber are up to you (external slump, or in tank unit) but I use a very small in tank unit in my 75 gal discus tank (way over feeding due to growing discus) and my phosphates aren't on the chart either but for the best reason; they are under the lowest reading on the kit's scale (0.01 ppm!) An in tank, small air driven scrubber that uses red LED's (controled by a cheap timer) is great for smaller tanks (75 gal down to 5 gal.) For very large tanks (100 gal or up) I'd strongely suggest a slump system ... . You can build any type of scrubber yourself or buy parts or complete units. PM me if you want my source for any of these choices. The nice thing is these units will help lower nitrates (yes, nitrates.) Can't lose with these devices since they'll even help protect against a ammonia spike if you clean your filter too well ... . Best of luck.
    Last edited by Cermet; 05-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.