· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainbow Sharks

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to what was mentioned above (all good advice) the loach needs to be in a school as well. Depending what kind it is it could get too big for your tank. I would definitely recommend getting rid of one of the sharks. The pleco will also create a lot of waste and if it is a common pleco it will get over a foot long so it will outgrow your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post

2. A "pleco" is what American fish stores stick on any of the 1200 fish of the Loricariidae family. It is most often used to mean Hypostomus plecostomus which grows out at 10-12 inch long. Not suited for a 30 gallon.
    3. A mbuna needs hard alkaline water, the rest need soft water
    4. I had to google blue skirt tetra. Apparently it's a dyed version of Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. If that's the case I am really curious why you'd buy a dyed fish. Anyway, it's a schooling species, needs company.
    5. Tiger barbs also need company.

So.. my advice would be start by going onto ebay and ordering a liquid test kit and see of you can lose one of the sharks.
    I will agree with lots of the above post - I would personally recommend getting rid of both sharks as one will become too aggressive eventually and could start up with other fish. I would also look to get rid of the barbs - forum members usually recommend a barb only tank due to their aggression (unless it's cherry barbs) and I agree to increase the skirts.

It's very important to know as stated above that most pet store employees are looking to make sales & many don't have their own tanks or know enough about fish to advise on compatibility, potential size, etc.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Valid points Andrea. I was aiming for quick wins and not everything at once. Afraid i'd really scare OP.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As far as your curiosity about my blue tetras; I fell in love when I saw them, asked questions, and was never told they were dyed. After I brought them home I found out they were a dyed fish through my own research. I am not going to return them just because I disagree with their treatment, but I am not going to purchase more of that type.
    As far as the rest, I will do what I can. Thank you.