· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Hello really need help.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm new to keeping an aquarium. We bought the aquarium in July ( I think it's a 55 or 60 gallon) as a birthday present for our 3 boys (they each saved all of their birthday money and pitched in on the aquarium and fish). We really did try to do everything right. We bought everything from a local fish store, who helped us choose the fish, live rock, cycle it and we even had the owners son come once a month to clean and maintain it. The first fish we put in was a fox face rabbit fish (my youngest sons fish). It was doing fine and a month later we added a snowflake eel (oldest sons). 2 weeks later the rabbit fish died. The fish guy came over and said it got stressed from the eel and to just keep going. So we added my middle sons fish in (a picasso trigger fish). All seemed well, so a few weeks later we replaced my youngests dead rabbit fish with a Ocellaris Clownfish. A few weeks later we decided to add in 2 damselfish. We always consulted the fish guy before doing anything, and bought the fish from him. A week later one of the damselfish started chasing the other into a corner and then 2 days later it had disappeared from the tank. Fish guy came over, said it had died of stress and little critters had eaten it. Tested the water and said everything was fine. 2 weeks later the Trigger fish died. Fish guy came over again tested the water, said it was constipated and to keep going. This was November. We've put at least 1,200 euros into the tank, and the kids love it. It has three fish. The eel, the clownfish and one damsel. The fish have seemed to be doing well since Nov. But I look at it and it justs seems really empty - especially for something we've put so much money into. I'm afraid to put anything else in it because we don't seem to be having much luck and I don't understand why. When we got the tank we were imagining this beautiful colorful living thing in the living room, and that's what I want. I don't mind spending money on some fish - but I want to make sure we put the right things in there so that they'll thrive. If anyone can help with some advice I would really appreciate it. I know that the experts get these questions all the time and probably get tired of answering them but I really need the help, so I'm hoping will pipe in. I've attached a photo of the tank (it's scheduled to be cleaned on Monday).

Right now there is

1 - snowflake eel
    1- blue damsel
    1 Ocellaris Clownfish

What else can we put in there that will give it a little life. I'd love to be able to add in a few more fish maybe couple of bright fish the same size as the damsel that would stick together.

Thankyou in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Double checked it's a 47 -50 gallon (Rio 180)

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps a bit too ambitious to start with marine? I think you'd get more results if you tried the salty section here.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe, but we didn't know? Now that we have the tank we need to work with what we have.

0 Not allowed!
    True. Hindsight is always perfect, isn't it?

Where in Europe are you?

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, that's 180L (47.5gal). That's stretching it for a Snowflake Eel, since they can grow to about 2ft long. That being said, the guy was right about the first fish probably being stressed. It should have been ok with the Eel, but really requires much more room than a 47-50gal tank. Since you have a clownfish, you could get some Anemones to brighten up the place and give it more life. Your clownfish will probably thank you for it.

Also, while Damsels are very pretty, they're very aggressive. Be weary of that for future additions.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi talldutchie,

I'm in Italy. Yes hindsight is better, but the fish man said that it was all really simple and he would set it up. So we didn't know.

KevinVa - won't the Anemonies be a problem with the eel?. The fish man said the eel is full grown. It's full length is 50 cm.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, 19" is definitely adult size. I'm sure not all Eels will grow the same length, but it might be a safe bet that it's not finished growing, completely. They can actually grow to a potential size of 31". Your Eel will probably be fine in there, but it's stretching it. Depending on the source, it's suggested that they get at least a 50gal tank, but others will suggest 100+gal. He'll be fine with Anemones, though. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    KevinVa, do you think the Anemones will grow? I just looked up that they can be hard to grow in a small tank. I love the idea of them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The boss of the tank is definitely the clownfish. When we feed the eel, the clownfish goes first and the eel waits for her to get out of the way. The damsel will get in wherever she can, and then when they've both gotten out of the way way the eel will go for the cozze.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast