· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Cycling with plants

0 Not allowed!
    I want my next tank to be planted. I'm looking at either a 20 or thirty gallon low tech plant setup. I'm doing all my research on lighting, CO2, substrate, plants and stock. I'm just confused as to cycling the tank. It will def be a fishless cycle. What I would like to know if I should cycle with or without plants? Not sure in that area. I read where folks have setup that tank and placed fish in right away. What do the experieced folks have to say? Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    There is nothing wrong with cycling and having plants in the tank - most of us do that - unless you don't know what plants to put in there when cycling starts.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, +1 to that. Only thing to remember is that plants will consume nitrates so you could see your nitrite drop and your nitrate not rising as quickly or as high as expected.

"next tank" implies that there's already an existing tank. In that case seeding from the existing filter will be quicker and easier.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rodm81 View Post
    I read where folks have setup that tank and placed fish in right away. What do the experieced folks have to say? Thanks in advance!
    It would take a lot of fast-growing plants to avoid a cycle. Go ahead and add the plants right away. While plants do help, you're going to need to cycle the tank as if the plants aren't there. Again, unless there's a good amount of plants in there (like the tank in my avatar, also shown in my journal below), your nitrate reading shouldn't be affected too much. Sure it may not go as high as it would without the plants, but you'll still be able to see the nitrate rise as the nitrite goes away.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just remember, ammonia and nitrates supply only nitrogen to the plants. You're still going to need to provide the other nutrients that plants require, through the proper fertilizers, because a new tank is pretty barren.

0 Not allowed!
    Or substrate.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone! Question answered!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    "next tank" implies that there's already an existing tank. In that case seeding from the existing filter will be quicker and easier.
    Don't know how I missed this, but I had to tear down both my tanks before I left for Afghanistan. I won't start another tank until April 2014 when my time is up here. I just doing all my research prior plus I love reading the forums. Lot of good info to learn about the hobby.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    God's blessings to you. Stay safe and THANK YOU for what you are about to do to keep our country safe and free.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vreugy View Post
    God's blessings to you. Stay safe and THANK YOU for what you are about to do to keep our country safe and free.
    Thank you Vreugy, But I think I should add that I'm not a military member. I actually retired from the military back in 2004. I'm deploying as a contractor.