· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Moving in the future, am I crazy?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all. I go to a big marine bio school (not a marine biologist though!), live at the beach, and work at an aquarium on the weekend...It has finally gotten to me and I want to start a small aquarium for myself.

I've been doing research and I am definitely going freshwater, I am thinking 20 gallons. I have a large budget, but of course would like to keep costs down as much as possible.

I am really interested in doing a planted aquarium. I think this would be much more fun and look much nicer than plastic stuff.

According to my research, I was planning on putting a small group of Danios, a small group of Barbs/something else peaceful and good for a community aquarium, and possible a cory/an invert or two.

Here is the kicker, I am moving a couple of hours away in about half a year. I am worried about moving everything. How much of a nightmare am I setting myself up for with moving a 20 gallon planted aquarium with 10 or so small fish in it? (I know I would obviously have to drain it and have to put the fish in bags and such)

Also while I am being an annoying forum noob:

Should i get an acrylic tank or glass tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC!

The type of tank you get is up to you. Acrylic is usually more clear, but also more expensive. Acrylic is sealed differently and more seamlessly than glass, which uses silicone. They'll both require bracing, etc.

If you're doing a planted tank, you'll probably have more fun doing a 20 gallon long, since that'll give you more surface area to plant/scape. This will give you more options on fish choice, as well.

Are you nuts for getting one, setting it up and stocking it prior to moving in 6 months? Probably, but who cares, right? Moving a 20gal (tall or long) won't be that big a deal, since it'll be relatively light (when drained), and you won't have that many fish. I say go for it. =]

Since you're going for planted, it's a good thing you have a big budget. ;P As soon as you get into this hobby, you start figuring out exactly what you need. You'll start buying things you never thought of before and wouldn't you know it, you just dropped $200 on a 10gal tank that cost you $13. Well worth it, though, if you ask me. Very fun, relaxing (usually depends on your personality) hobby which keeps you thinking. You'll never stop learning once you start.

Danios & Cherry Barbs sound great. If you're going to get a Cory, you'll need to add several more, since they're a schooling fish. I don't think you'll regret it, though. They're quite interesting. Inverts are great, because they have such low bio-load and definitely add a little flare to your tank.

If you have any questions, just let us know. That's what we're here for. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Even a 20 gallon long is only 60cm wide. Personally I'd consider it a bit small for danios. You could do barbs or rasboras.

Planting can be as expensive as you want it to be. Best thing would be to find one or two local fishkeepers that do planted tanks and see about getting some cuttings.
    Don't skimp on the lights. When you go tank shopping try to find something that comes with a hood with dual T5 lights over the entire length. T8 is an acceptable alternative if you want to go for something more dimly lit Asian style.

One tip for me. Plan! Sketch, look at pictures, get inspired. Sketch some more and only then start buying and building

0 Not allowed!
    Many people have moved their set-ups a few hours drive away without any looses. Even tho it puts the fish under extra stress, It can be done safely. It will take extra effort on your part, and maybe a little extra expense as well.

As long as you are prepared to put in that extra effort, I would not see a problem if you set-up your tank before or after you moved.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Given your excellent situation, I am willing to bet you can get a hold of plants for the tank for pennies, if not free.

Given that, I would research precisely what kind of fish I wanted, and then get a tank that suits their needs, instead of getting a tank and looking for fish that suit it. Far too often, the latter results in boredom and walking away from the hobby. It is also difficult to change themes, say from some rasboras to a predator tank... and then discovering your tank is too small for the fish you REALLY want.

As for moving... the best tool for a 2-3 hour trip is a clean cooler. Ask for the details about a month before you move and I am certain you will get the advice you need to make it fairly painless.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Welcome to AC!

The type of tank you get is up to you. Acrylic is usually more clear, but also more expensive. Acrylic is sealed differently and more seamlessly than glass, which uses silicone. They'll both require bracing, etc.

If you're doing a planted tank, you'll probably have more fun doing a 20 gallon long, since that'll give you more surface area to plant/scape. This will give you more options on fish choice, as well.

Are you nuts for getting one, setting it up and stocking it prior to moving in 6 months? Probably, but who cares, right? Moving a 20gal (tall or long) won't be that big a deal, since it'll be relatively light (when drained), and you won't have that many fish. I say go for it. =]

Since you're going for planted, it's a good thing you have a big budget. ;P As soon as you get into this hobby, you start figuring out exactly what you need. You'll start buying things you never thought of before and wouldn't you know it, you just dropped $200 on a 10gal tank that cost you $13. Well worth it, though, if you ask me. Very fun, relaxing (usually depends on your personality) hobby which keeps you thinking. You'll never stop learning once you start.

Danios & Cherry Barbs sound great. If you're going to get a Cory, you'll need to add several more, since they're a schooling fish. I don't think you'll regret it, though. They're quite interesting. Inverts are great, because they have such low bio-load and definitely add a little flare to your tank.

If you have any questions, just let us know. That's what we're here for. =]
    Thanks. I feel like acrylic is just a better material all around than glass. But I guess it will depend how much I want to spend in the end. What do you mean, you need bracing? What is bracing?

I like you idea of the 20 long. I have seen a lot of setups that are very dense and basically looks like a messy jungle. I don't want that. I'm liking the ones that are more open. Thank for for the advice on the cory.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Even a 20 gallon long is only 60cm wide. Personally I'd consider it a bit small for danios. You could do barbs or rasboras.

Planting can be as expensive as you want it to be. Best thing would be to find one or two local fishkeepers that do planted tanks and see about getting some cuttings.
    Don't skimp on the lights. When you go tank shopping try to find something that comes with a hood with dual T5 lights over the entire length. T8 is an acceptable alternative if you want to go for something more dimly lit Asian style.

One tip for me. Plan! Sketch, look at pictures, get inspired. Sketch some more and only then start buying and building
    Where would you suggest tank shopping? There is a salt water aquarium store near me but I went over there the other day and it's crap. I don't know what the opinion is on here of the big box pet stores, but that is the only other option I would have for getting one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Many people have moved their set-ups a few hours drive away without any looses. Even tho it puts the fish under extra stress, It can be done safely. It will take extra effort on your part, and maybe a little extra expense as well.

As long as you are prepared to put in that extra effort, I would not see a problem if you set-up your tank before or after you moved.
    I know it will be a lot of effort. But I am willing to put it in. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moghedan View Post
    Given your excellent situation, I am willing to bet you can get a hold of plants for the tank for pennies, if not free.

Given that, I would research precisely what kind of fish I wanted, and then get a tank that suits their needs, instead of getting a tank and looking for fish that suit it. Far too often, the latter results in boredom and walking away from the hobby. It is also difficult to change themes, say from some rasboras to a predator tank... and then discovering your tank is too small for the fish you REALLY want.

As for moving... the best tool for a 2-3 hour trip is a clean cooler. Ask for the details about a month before you move and I am certain you will get the advice you need to make it fairly painless.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Ok, some more questions for you guys because you are so helpful.

1. I am worried about breeding. I never really had the idea of putting groups of fish in an aquarium before I recently started doing my research. I have read a lot about the fish breeding. I definitely do not want to have to mess with ending up with 20 new fish in my aquarium after a couple months. What is the best way for me to do this? I know its hard to stop, but I read for instance that it is basically impossible for Amano shrimp to breed in an aquarium, so I am definitely looking at those. Are there any fish like this that basically will not breed/be able to breed in this setup? Can I get all of one sex for the groups of fish if I was to get the Danios/Barbs? Have I been mislead to think that putting a group containing males/females in my tank, I am going to end up with a ton of fish?

2. What fish would be good to put in solo/two of in this community tank.

3. I have no idea how many fish I should put in here. Say like we were discussing I got a group of Danios, and group of Barbs, a group of Corys, and a couple shrimp. How many Danios/Barbs/Corys would you suggest getting?